Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Still have all my fingers
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Virutex Lipping Planer last week (after 6 weeks of backorder) and got to try it out today. I will use it for flush planing finished ends and shelves. It is different than an ordinary power planer because it uses an offset shoe to reference the cutting head which is adjustable anywhere from a 1/2" lip to flush. In other words it regulates how much material you will have left rather that how much you are taking off.

It is a ton more stable than flush routing especially on shelves and wood tops where there isn't a lot of material for the router base to ride on.

Flush trimming a BC end

You can see the large offset adjustable shoe on the left

On quick pass and you are done

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
i could of used that 2 weeks ago,when a homeowner ordered a kitchen with no fillers!! i was ripping the 3/16 edge off the face frames!!

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
64,386 Posts
Spendy toy....How close can you get, can you do flush? Or do you come real close to flush? I've always wondered why they got such a premium for those machines, they aren't much different than a regular electric plane. The other shoe adjusts.

·
Still have all my fingers
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spendy toy....How close can you get, can you do flush? Or do you come real close to flush? I've always wondered why they got such a premium for those machines, they aren't much different than a regular electric plane. The other shoe adjusts.
You can adjust it to cut perfectly flush (and then some)but you really need to watch the amount of pressure you are using or you will not get consistent results. I backed it off a little until I get a little more used to using it. Even with it backed off it is only leaving about .1 mm (yes point one, you can get a feel for a tenth of a mil after working on a CNC for a few years....right Gus? :laughing:

I think there are a couple reasons they are so expensive.

1. I only know of two companies the manufacture them, Hoffman & Virutex. I'll bet I could jack up my cabinet prices sky high if I was only competing with Bubba's cabinet shop down the street

2. The things are massive. I don't know the HP/Amp rating (the owners manual was written in every language but English) but judging by the weight and size of the motor I think it's comparable to my table saw :clap:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.