Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
mindmapping it all!
142 Posts
I wait till last minute to use a tool and keep it put up. some days are 40 tool days and that is a lot of last minute so it gets hard with everything laying all over the job site. the end of the day pick up sucks but having tools to pick up makes it worth it! sometimes every trip to the truck entails putting a tool back as I go but does not always happen. contactor bags are soild black and will hold/hide quite a few tools in them, looks like a pile of trash to the untrained eye just keep the laborer from throwing it in the dumpster!

·
Registered
819 Posts
14 years in the trade and never had a tool stolen on a jobsite from contractors

had my van robbed once at a jobsite, but never a tool that was inside the house stolen

i wouldnt worry too much....my tools look heavily used in a week...im sure yours already look horrible too

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts

had my van robbed once at a jobsite, but never a tool that was inside the house stolen

i wouldnt worry too much....my tools look heavily used in a week...im sure yours already look horrible too
I'm in the same boat, any tools that disappeared I either lost or had another mistake them as his own and scoop by accident.

·
mindmapping it all!
142 Posts

you are fortunate, I've been hit multiple times and the builder I worked with got hit a few times on job sites ( we needed new tools anyway so win win)

I've got a little tiny dewalt trim compressor that was babied and looks brand new but multiple internal problems ( what a POS!) but most tools start to look like pure $#!t after just a few days on a site.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Well so far the only tool i lost was a small pair of channel locks that i let a super use and he never gave them back and i never had a chance to confront him about it.

I baby all my tools as much as i can. I keep small stuff in bags. Im just paranoid and ill get over it.

·
mindmapping it all!
142 Posts
Well so far the only tool i lost was a small pair of channel locks that i let a super use and he never gave them back and i never had a chance to confront him about it.

I baby all my tools as much as i can. I keep small stuff in bags. Im just paranoid and ill get over it.
i lost(left behind) a razor knife under a 10 million dollar home we put plastic down in 1995. kept thinking how much value the home held and how much value that 4$ razor knife held to me. what a loss

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
I do. I get paid to do a job professionally, and I have my necessary tools with me.
I don't like it when a plumber or electrician shows up and asks to borrow a hammer or screwdriver because he "forgot" to bring his. I don't ask the H.O. to borrow a ladder because I "forgot" to bring mine. It's part of the job to come prepared with tools.
That's a good point, but have you ever been in a situation where you forgot to bring something (it DOES happen) and the trip back to the shop is an hour each way? And you only need that tool for 2 minutes? Or I'm standing next to you and I need to run 2 screws, but my driver is down 2 floors and you have a screw gun in your hands. Can I borrow it for 30 seconds?

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
http://www.liveviewgps.com/powered+assets.html

A carpenter was telling me that most of the big brand names will be installing these chips Into their tools soon.
Those kinds of products are great and they're getting smaller and smaller. I have a buddy who was having problems with break-ins in his shop, so he put a little GPS in a brand new boom-box and left it sitting on a table. Bastard thieves broke in and stole it. Called the cops, they tracked it's location, and uncovered a burglary ring. He got a lot of his stuff back, along with many others getting theirs back. Sad it's come to this, but it's today's reality :mad:

61 - 69 of 69 Posts