Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
plasterboard/drywall stop
12 Posts
Im fairly new to the finish carpentry trade. Doing mostly commercial work. I have been investing a lot in new tools and have to carry them from job to job daily.

I am not always in eyes sight of my tools bags and equipment and i keep getting comments from other contractors about my new tools which is starting to make me a little worried about things growing legs.

Anybody have any tips?

Most my tools i mark my initials with a sharpie but that can be erased. And im not a fan of carving initials into tools incase i ever decide to sell them to buy better ones

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Hardware-Tool-Storage-Jobsite-Storage/N-5yc1vZc27g :thumbsup:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Anybody have any tips?
Yup. Get past this \/

im not a fan of carving initials into tools incase i ever decide to sell them to buy better ones
That's a dopey reason not to mark your tools to prevent theft. Especially when they start to look like every other used tool once the newness wears off. Get an engraver and mark them all.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Stock up on festool. Thieves are dumb. I was working in a warehouse prob 3-4 years ago. Had everyone of my festools out using them. Also had a few dewalt tools left at back of warehouse. These idiots walked past $10k worth of festool kit to take about $200 worth of dewalt kit.

Thrives are attracted to brands they know like dewalt and Milwaukee as they stand out.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Most are probably just making comments. Shiny new tools always draw attention. Especially from homeowners. I always use an engraver and put my name on them. Sometimes I put it obviously and someplace not so obvious. That way if they grind it off they might miss one. Doubtful I would ever get one back, but who knows. Maybe just seeing the name on it would discourage them. Thieves don't usually want to put forth any effort in grinding a name off. Or scraping one off for that matter.

If I decide to sell it down the road, someone else can worry about the name.

I've also started putting the date of purchase on the tool. Doesn't do much, but when it starts to go bad, I can look at the date and realize I got alot of years out of it. For example I have a Dewalt battery that doesn't hold a charge very well anymore. The date was in 08. I decided it wasn't too bad after all.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have a 48" x24" job box by ridgid that I could fit into a compact five door hatch back so fitting them shouldn't worry you. Lifting it becomes the issue. Took three of us to get it in them truck when it was loaded.

You could always buy a small trailer from harbor freight and put two 48" x 24" coffin boxes on that...

Also, consider spray painting your tools. When I worked commercial I used two iridescent colors. They looked so damn ugly and no one could ever claim it was theirs...

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I've also started putting the date of purchase on the tool. Doesn't do much, but when it starts to go bad, I can look at the date and realize I got alot of years out of it. For example I have a Dewalt battery that doesn't hold a charge very well anymore. The date was in 08. I decided it wasn't too bad after all.
That's a great idea. I have been writing my name on some of my stuff with a permanent marker ,(not as permanent as engraving but it's more to help me know that it's mine, things like ladders etc.) I never thought to write the date of purchase but that could be useful. Sometimes I have had something go wrong with a tool and wonder if it's still under warranty, a date written on it would be a big help.

·
Registered
Remodel
30,222 Posts
Probably everyone has seen someone who'll show up with brand new DeWalt because they think that shows they know what they're doing. There are others that are always broke, so they pawn their tools over the winter, lose them, borrow money from someone, get new in the spring.

Painting tools is pretty handy - you can tell from a ways away it's yours.

·
President
1,349 Posts
i can usually spot my stuff from a mile away, cause while its old and used my stuff is clean... but all of my tools are engraved, even my mechanics tools, every single socket, screw driver... brushes handles scrapers... drills, everything. takes less than 5 minutes to engrave your name into a tool.

for the bigger stuff like ladders, I use a stencil, which has my name and phone number.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I try to engrave "stolen from jim last name on everything plus write it in sharpie. Then I go around all the contour lines with a sharpie to make quick ID east. will start putting the date on tommorrow when I pick up my new router.
cheers, Jim

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Watch your tools like a hawk; act as if you think everyone is out to steal them. I've caught a few tool thefts on video. One was an organized break-in with torches to cut into boxes; the rest were crimes of opportunity.

The last one, a sub's laborer stood watch while his buddies drove up and stole all the tools from the front porch of a house across the street from where I was, during lunch. The tools were carefully placed out of sight of the street.

Other contractors' laborers are especially not to be trusted, unless you know the laborer personally. Subs don't want you to know that they picked up their labor from the Home Depot parking lot, so they have their little B.S. show to pretend that the guy is their oldest, most valued employee. The one across the street, the general was shocked - hey, that's Joey, Fred's guy! Well, Fred had never seen Joey before picking him up that morning.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
I mark all my tools too and with the date, mine was to make sure it was for warranty reasons as I have a few duplicate tools. The other thing I do is put where I bought it (for batteries especially) because a few of the places I buy tools will warranty the tool themselves, they give a replacement and then take care of it through the manufactorer so the contractor has no down time. Waaaaaaaaay better service then big box store.

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
1+ on the engraving your tools. It doesn't have to be your name, it could be anything that you, or anyone else (e.g., police) can easily identify, such as the last 4 of your social.

A thief is a thief regardless of whether or not you have tools locked in a box, etc, but anything you can do to make things more difficult, or as a deterrent, is very wise. Not to mention I can't tell you how many times I've been able to identify something like an Eastwing hammer from everyone else's Eastwing hammer.

I also agree with marking tools in more than one location on the tool, especially if it is a big ticket purchase.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
Watch your tools like a hawk; act as if you think everyone is out to steal them.
99% of guys won't steal your chit (they damn sure will use it though, but that doesn't bother me as long as they ask). It only takes that 1%'er and you're buying new tools. I have had many small tools go missing on jobs over the years.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I dont mind someone using my tools except my levels... had to return one because a coworker dropped it off a 16 foot step ladder. Good ol johnson levels with their lifetime warranty

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
I dont mind someone using my tools except my levels... had to return one because a coworker dropped it off a 16 foot step ladder. Good ol johnson levels with their lifetime warranty
I do. I get paid to do a job professionally, and I have my necessary tools with me.
I don't like it when a plumber or electrician shows up and asks to borrow a hammer or screwdriver because he "forgot" to bring his. I don't ask the H.O. to borrow a ladder because I "forgot" to bring mine. It's part of the job to come prepared with tools.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I do. I get paid to do a job professionally, and I have my necessary tools with me.
I don't like it when a plumber or electrician shows up and asks to borrow a hammer or screwdriver because he "forgot" to bring his. I don't ask the H.O. to borrow a ladder because I "forgot" to bring mine. It's part of the job to come prepared with tools.
Good point

21 - 40 of 69 Posts