Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im fairly new to the finish carpentry trade. Doing mostly commercial work. I have been investing a lot in new tools and have to carry them from job to job daily.

I am not always in eyes sight of my tools bags and equipment and i keep getting comments from other contractors about my new tools which is starting to make me a little worried about things growing legs.

Anybody have any tips?

Most my tools i mark my initials with a sharpie but that can be erased. And im not a fan of carving initials into tools incase i ever decide to sell them to buy better ones

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Im fairly new to the finish carpentry trade. Doing mostly commercial work. I have been investing a lot in new tools and have to carry them from job to job daily.

I am not always in eyes sight of my tools bags and equipment and i keep getting comments from other contractors about my new tools which is starting to make me a little worried about things growing legs.

Anybody have any tips?

Most my tools i mark my initials with a sharpie but that can be erased. And im not a fan of carving initials into tools incase i ever decide to sell them to buy better ones
its like wearing new Air Jordans to the playground..they gonna get mushed, stepped on, and if you in the hood you gonna have to fight to keep them..
but as a man..you can set your worries aside..pack them up daily..remove them from site..and bust balls back..

writing your name on it means nothing..I got a 10" dewalt chop saw with and a Makita table saw both with other names on it. ( i bought them used)

If you are that paranoid..get a job box on site take out only what you need and lock up the rest.

I think you will find 99 out of 100 are not going to take your tools .. we all know and respect that.. bu there is always that one, more likely laborer or punk a$$ apprentice/helper aspiring crack head.

no true Pro will steal you sh it.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Wear a short skirt and thong underwear. Everybody will either be checking you out or gouging out their eyes, and nobody will bother to think about your "tools".

Or will they?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah the only tools we " sometimes" leave are our miter and table saws and compressors. Only if we are coming back the next day and never over the weekend. I chain and padlock everything together.

As for a job box. I drive a suv so that wont work.

I guess over time ill get a little less worried about it. But about 8 years ago i was in the process of moving and had everything i owned in a storage facility and someone broke in and stole most everything i owned. Thousands in tools. Thousands in guns electronics ect. They left bulky furniture after everything was damaged. So im paranoid. They found out a employee at the place done it. He went to jail. I got an apology from the owner. Woohoo.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wear a short skirt and thong underwear. Everybody will either be checking you out or gouging out their eyes, and nobody will bother to think about your "tools".

Or will they?
Good idea but where can i find workboot brown thongs to go with my steel toes lol

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
:laughing:......:thumbup: Problem solved....:clap:pink

tools.....:laughing:

You can skip the lock,,,,all is well....

Well done !:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought the fat max boxes from Stanley and they seem to work fairly well have 1 big Box that keep locked always and 3 smaller boxes all on wheels and cabled together with a pad-o-lock and am a finish carpenter also , so I take a smaller box with most used tools and chain the rest.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought the fat max boxes from Stanley and they seem to work fairly well have 1 big Box that keep locked always and 3 smaller boxes all on wheels and cabled together with a pad-o-lock and am a finish carpenter also , so I take a smaller box with most used tools and chain the rest.
Ill check them out. Is the big box small enough to load in a 97 gmc yukon

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Build an inexpensive and removable bed slide for your SUV they work great and not a lot of money.
I actually have shelves built in it right now. Table saw on bottom. Miter saw and compessors and other things on top and a shelf to slide my miter saw stand on and bags go in back seats lol. Its literally stuffed full

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
I never leave tools on a job unless it's a lived-in house. NEVER on a commercial site. Never, ever. I've seen too much stuff go 'missing'. I'm still missing a scraper and 100' cord from 3 years ago :mad::laughing:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts