Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
have just joined the site, interested in soda blasting and have 10 years experience in refractory gunning of red hot steel furnaces we used a 2.5 ton pressure vessel.
This site looks like a real good one base on some of the tech discussions I have recently been reading. Lots to learn!
cheers
Tony

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Not exactly sure what you do:eek:, sounds alot like the trades, soooo, WELCOME TO CT, GMOD

PS, Complete yor profile when you get a chance

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers Gents,
Hi Genecarp will do , Gday Brickie.
The refractory installation work that I used to do basically involved the application of a cement like material usually 1 ton of material per shot sometimes 2, which was pressure fed to either a mobile gunning machine or hand gun via a pressurised vessel like the ones used for sand blasting only bigger. The material exited the P vessel via a 2 inch bull hose dry and was wet mixed via a water mixing chamber to a 2 inch lance fitted to a remotely controlled mobile hydraulicly operated gunning machine. The machine was remotely driven by the gunning operator on the furnace floor into a red 1600 degrees furnace after tapping off and the goal was to spray the gunning material onto the walls ( barrels) of the furnace where there was the most erosion, the aim to maintain these critical areas for the duration of the life of the furnace. The other operation involved hand gunning via a 2 inch hand held lance. Applying the material around the taphole till it was full up. Tapholes were usually replaced after about 50 or so heats on the furnace.
I am setting up a soda blasting system now and see many parallels in the abrasive blasting game and am looking forward to the vast tech discussions here. Sorry for the long post, hope it helps to explain the work,
Cheers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts