Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. For the first time in my career I have been asked to bid to install cabinets purchased at Lowes. Hickory. I am pretty certain the owners have recieved an estimate from Lowes. The kitchen is very simple with one corner sink base. 9 wall cabinets, 11 base cabinets, 1 pantry. The two two runs of cabinets are 10' and 11'. There is an island consisting of 5 bases 3/2 back to back. Tile tops are to be installed by others. The wall cabinets are a common height finished with crown. The owner says supports were built in prior to drywall. I can't see more than 2 days max to install these my self.
I usually build my cabinets. I use 2 1/2" screws through shelf supports at the backs. I use 1 1/4" screws to attach cabinets to one another. What method of wall fastening is most common with cabs purchased at the big box stores?
Any words of wisdom?

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,811 Posts
Ok. For the first time in my career I have been asked to bid to install cabinets purchased at Lowes. Hickory. I am pretty certain the owners have recieved an estimate from Lowes. The kitchen is very simple with one corner sink base. 9 wall cabinets, 11 base cabinets, 1 pantry. The two two runs of cabinets are 10' and 11'. There is an island consisting of 5 bases 3/2 back to back. Tile tops are to be installed by others. The wall cabinets are a common height finished with crown. The owner says supports were built in prior to drywall. I can't see more than 2 days max to install these my self.
I usually build my cabinets. I use 2 1/2" screws through shelf supports at the backs. I use 1 1/4" screws to attach cabinets to one another. What method of wall fastening is most common with cabs purchased at the big box stores?
Any words of wisdom?
What you describe is typical for stock cabinets. There's usually a solid wood screw cleat at the top of the base cabinets and the top & bottom of the wall cabinets.

I'm not sure what manuf. you're installing--but Kraftmaid sends screw kits with each cabinet--three washer head screws to anchor to the wall and two bugle head screws to join the face frames to one another.

Your time estimate sounds about right as well. But you might want to allow an extra half-day (if you can still price it competitive) for PITA factor.

You'll have to hold your nose while you're installing these. Most guys who are used to working with their own custom cabinets find the stocks to be crap to work with. Often times they require a lot more "persuasion" to get them level, plumb & square.

:laughing:

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Recovering Borg Installer here.:blink:

You should be able to do that job in the time you estimated. Charge what you want to make, but add 1/2 day to protect yourself. If the designer or cab supplier makes a mistake, or a cab is damaged, that should cover an extra trip. I speaketh from experience... something might not be right. Or offer to do it for your hourly rate.

Chances are good that a quote of say $1250 will still beat Blowes price. Their install prices usually have to pay money to the store, the installer, and often a third party middleman that hires the installer for the store.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent info guys. That's what I needed to know! Sounds like my hourly rate is low! I usually wouldn't even bid stuff like this but I gotta tell ya..It's dead around here.
As an aside...she asked if I could install some "reclaimed" flooring she got from her grandfathers grocery store in the Dakotas. Ugh!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DavidC
I wouldn't mind knowing this point value or or their bid specifics but I don't know how I would find this out. They have a contractor installation estimator do an estimate for a refundable fee...I ran into this in a carpeting bid... they tried to get an estimate fee from me a couple of years ago. I told them they were out of their minds and the waved it. That dog don't hunt on my jobs. They screwed up the carpet order anyway.

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
DavidC
I wouldn't mind knowing this point value or or their bid specifics but I don't know how I would find this out. They have a contractor installation estimator do an estimate for a refundable fee...I ran into this in a carpeting bid... they tried to get an estimate fee from me a couple of years ago. I told them they were out of their minds and the waved it. That dog don't hunt on my jobs. They screwed up the carpet order anyway.
I don't think the open forum is a good place for specific pricing info. Check your PM box.

FWIW, they are famous for screwing up orders.

Good Luck
Dave

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
Reactions: mics_54

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
As an aside...she asked if I could install some "reclaimed" flooring she got from her grandfathers grocery store in the Dakotas. Ugh!
I think your hourly rate just went up. I'm not big on too much reclaimed materials. The flooring will be a PITA. From an old grocery store, it will likely have uneven wear patterns, meaning they will be unlikely to be even thickness, depending on age and species.

I hope she is planning to refinish the floors too. I have had people find great looking reclaimed flooring, and are looking to have it installed "as-is" with all the patina and wear intact. Including the old finishes. I declined to bid that job. It will never match up right, and never look as good as it did when it was still installed in its original location. Being that it's from the "grandfather's grocery" and has sentimental value, that might be what they are looking for.

If you decide to go with it, make sure they have plenty of stock available. Quite a bit more waste with reclaimed. And add a good PITA cushion to your hourly rate. It's hard to estimate time on a project like that. And insist that it will need to be refinished when complete. They will need to have realistic expectations when it comes to reclaimed floors.

All that being said, reclaimed floors can be beautiful. Although I'm not a flooring guy, I have installed some. All smaller sections. One or two rooms. Usually sub that out. And, I've only once used reclaimed flooring; for a sun room. I wouldn't do it again, unless for a VERY good customer.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bid it and never heard another word from the lady. Not "no thanks" "KMA" or nothin. What a waste of time.

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
Gosh, lost a bid? Well, we're here to help you through it. :thumbsup:

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Bid it and never heard another word from the lady. Not "no thanks" "KMA" or nothin. What a waste of time.
Really?
That has never happened to me.

NOT !

I'm sorry to say, you'll get used to it.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks guys...I feel better!
It isn't the first time...I just thought the people that helped me with the bid would like an update on that job. I wasn't crazy about installing Lowes cabs anyway. I imagine she had several offers around here.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I lied anyway.

It sucks everytime

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,657 Posts
I lied anyway.

It sucks everytime
Not every time. Every once in a while I get a job that after dealing with the people I discover that I really don't want it. So I bid it high. And when I don't get it I am happy. But if you do get it you are happy too, because you are going to make a butt load of money.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Every Lowes or HD kitchen i have installed has been missing fillers and short on toe kick. Be there for the measurements and figure out your fillers yourself!!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts