Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I FINALLY GOT MY TRUCK!:clap:

Thanks to all of you in the past for your input on what you liked/disliked about certain years etc.

I'm GLAD I held out for the 4 door feature. I would have been PI:censored:ED with only 3.(THAT I figured out on day 4)

I was given this Warn Trans4mers Bumper/Brush guard with winch mount with the truck. I need mounting brackets(order or fabbed) and one light mount bracket.

This is pretty close to my "dream" truck (aside from trucks from the 30's-60's OBVIOUSLY)

My only regrets is I thought it was 100% road ready.(aside from 2 new tires) We went to get the tires and thought the truck handled odd and found out the front left bearing assembly was shot.( I found out REAL quick the cost difference between 2 and 4 wheel drive )

I didn't follow my own advice on buying a vehicle in that I took it for a short test drive but NOT a shop to give it a once over.

Aside from that, I am MORE than pleased and still feel I got a good deal just felt maybe the seller(as this was his daily driver and went every other weekend to and from Tampa) would know his truck better than that!!!

Oh and the ABS sensors are WAY to touchy. There is a difference of ONLY 7/32s between the new and slightly used tires. As a results it trips the sensors if I get on a bumpy road.

The only "necessary upgrades" I see is a roll 'n' lock bed cover, locking fuel door and a tail gate lock. (ESPECIALLY since I have the Pro-Tec box) VERY hard to come by. That also means I would have to modify it to fit a normal handle as the "lock" I found doesn't look as it stays attached and regear the front end and modify the front drive shaft. One (discontinued) center cap or 4(no biggie). Factory driver's side fog light.(it works but, looks like shiz)

"Toy" upgrades (SOMEWHERE down the line ) a Bully Dog programmer, Doug Thorley headers, high flow cats(or none haven't decided yet anyway the 4 O2 sensors are getting programmed out of the equation) true dual exhaust or X-pipe, a pair of flowmaster 40 series mufflers, 6 Bilstien 5100 series shocks(maybe 8 if a fabrication guy is reasonably priced then I'll pair up the rear as is the front) might not be able to get the ones with remote reservoirs as the front shocks are pretty close to one another and I want the lable facing out on both. I'll prob go with a rail mount roll bar(got one in mind). I just have to play with configurations between a tool box( if not the one I have ANOTHER added cost to the equation) the Roll 'n' lock( it can go with the tool box OR the roll bars but might need a modified bracket and diff. tool box for all three.) Maybe some body window graphics and MAYBE his and her sun roofs.(Not sold on the looks of those yet but I like the factory over head center console.)

Thaks again for the suggestions Ya'll gave me a while back!:notworthy

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Sweet looking truck JT, and lots of luck!!:thumbup:

what year is it.?

Reactions: stp57

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
im in the market now too, i sold an 06 f-150 crew cab lariat about 4 mnths ago! nice truck inside but was a really crappy ride handling wise!

Im looking at avalanches now, But i found an 07 LTZ 2500 silverado duramax with 7k miles, a southern comfort conversion package,which includes procomp lift,35s,grafics, the whole 9 yards all factory, @ 45k i cant pull the trigger yet im waiting for him to come down to about 38k!

times are tough and gas is starting to rise around here!

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Congrats, JT, - - great lookin' truck, - - nothin' beats a Silverado, IMO.

Here's my '08 with some chome tossed on . . .

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is a SWEET looking ride Five Star!:notworthy If you need new tires I would go Toyos or BF goodrich AT's. I assume though those aren't too bad yet. I guess you need to get it in your F'n driveway FIRST and then worry about the rest.:laughing:

I love the fiberglass cover with spoiler but I know they can be a ***** getting shiz in and out so I'm saving for a Roll 'n' Lock.

Factory tail gate locking handle or no?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats, JT, - - great lookin' truck, - - nothin' beats a Silverado, IMO.

Here's my '08 with some chome tossed on . . .
Thanks Tom:notworthy X2 on bowties and their looks.I'll say the same on yours:thumbup: I like how the sun bounces off your nerf bars for effect.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
:whistlingonce i overcome the first obstacle and get it in my driveway,i,ll be able to atleast get some sleep at night!:sleep1:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:whistlingonce i overcome the first obstacle and get it in my driveway,i,ll be able to atleast get some sleep at night!:sleep1:
Boy Howdy can I relate!!!! I was a nervous wreck(like a 16 year old girl on prom night:shutup:) :laughing: as this was posted for about a month. When it got re posted I crapped my pants as we didn't have the money secured for it.

Swore on my first un born we were serious and he held it for me an a promise.:clap:

Later he told me it was "sold" on a Saturday and papers to be signed and $$ exchanged to be on Monday. The guys wife came home Sunday with a F**d:)laughing:) Explorer and said,"Honey look what we bought.":w00t: That's why the re post.

I would have killed my other half if I were the guy but hey cool for me.:clap::clap:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Same here, i like the truck just cant seem to pull the trigger!:eek:

that chevy is an 07 with 7k miles, i know the guy dropped 70k on the truck 48k brand new+southern comfort conversion option is 18k+ tax! and in 2 years hes lucky to get 45k thats where im at with him!

but for 45 k i can get a 09 duramax LTZ stock with all warranties!

im holding out for another few mnths i think i can get this truck under 40k:shutup:

things are getting slowing down here again

·
Contractor
4,761 Posts
really nice looking ride-the rims are great.

I'm not sure about your diagnosis re: the ABS-could be a loose wire at one of the wheels or dirt in the hub/sensor assembly.

I've found out that on my 99, the ABS light is on b/c the front left wire is broken off-but the rest of the ABS system works as it should, only the front left wheel will lock up (on gravel/wet roads).

·
Al Smith
2,392 Posts
Why all the short beds?? To me that would be an instant disqualifier. I'm in the market for a new-to-me truck also. I see that a lot of the used fords for sale have had their engines replaced? are used fords in the 98-2007 range lemons? Ive had great luck with the old ford 4.9 straight six that are in the two trucks i have. I don't want to buy something I might have to yank the motor ouit of in my driveway in two years. and its been joked about by my ford fan friends that "Chevy doesn't build trucks". and I wont touch a dodge after the two Chrysler sebring fiasco's ive been through. I had a nice old back from the junkyard recycled GMC PU 26 years ago that you couldn't kill. what I need is a 250 series, stretch cab, two wheel drive only. auto, small motor. mandatory 8 foot bed. The bonus would be an A R E side door reach into the bed cap with 12 foot over the cab heavy duty racks.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
chevy duramaxs are the ticket from what i hear!
X2, i own two 06 D-Max's and love them both. Great power, really good fuel milage and a comfortable ride. You just cant beat the Allison tranny either.

The ABS is most likely a dirty sensor or a bad wheel bearing. These trucks are noted for the ABS to come on intermittenly for a bad bearing even if the bearing doesnt show to be loose. Tire size wont effect it that much. If it did then everyone hauling heavy loads or towing with alot of tongue weight would be having ABS problems. Think about the tire hight difference between the sqatted tire in the rear and the unloaded tire in the fornt when loaded and you will know what i mean.

Personally i would stay away from the sunroofs, no water leaks that way. That is a good looking truck too. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Am I the only one concerned that Tom R is taking pictures of his truck in an empty Lane Bryant Fashion Bug parking lot?
Not that there's anything wrong with that!! :laughing:

Hey, - - it's New Jersey, - - the place went out of business like everything else around here.

'Sides, - - it's where I drink my coffee and read my paper in peace. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Tom is that truck a 4x4?

i noticed alot of gmc and chevy 1500 sit low to the ground yet are 4x4s?

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Yep, it's a 4 X 4, - - it sits fairly high, the undershadow in the pics may be a little bit deceiving (that, or I'm just short) . . . :laughing:

Also, - - it's got 17-inch wheels where a lot of them only come with 16's . . .

1 - 20 of 39 Posts