Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should a new tigerwood deck have any boards with extensive fuzz on them? Should a new deck oiled for the first time show greenish-yellow tinge over the brown-black tiger grain (mostly occurring over the fuzz spots)?

Our new tigerwood deck has several boards with extensive fuzzing on the surface. Typically the fuzzing occurs along with the tigerwood grain. Not all of our distinctive boards show this fuzz, but the ones that do are pretty noticeable. The contractor said that was normal when I asked about it during construction. It was bearable in appearance before the wood was oiled, however, now that it's been oiled for the first time (TWP) the fuzz really stands out. Moreover, those fuzzy areas now show a greenish-yellow tinge over the brown-black grain. It's very clear that the fuzz spots do not have the same smooth sheen/finish that the rest of the boards do.

I live in the southeast and the deck is new. The contractor is a pro at Ipe, but this is his 1st tigerwood job. Just want to know if this is a normal tigerwood material feature, or if I should address it. If the latter, should I sand, re-oil, or have him replace the boards in question?

Thanks!

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
Both the trees that provide ipe and tigerwood injest sulfer,not kidding,it is normal for the green to show in the sawdust and the new wood.

Far as the fuzz goes,get over it!!! J.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Funny, can't find your introduction
or background.
Just posts about this deck.
Coincidentally your company
is named DECKelectric?

Smells kind of HOish to me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny, can't find your introduction
or background.
Just posts about this deck.
Coincidentally your company
is named DECKelectric?

Smells kind of HOish to me.
Gee, for someone with anon as their company name you sure are critical and presumptive! Please be more considerate when posting, perhaps addressing the topic of the thread instead of engaging in flame wars.

To answer your question: yes, the name of the company is Decklectric. We provide professional electrical engineering and lighting design for decks, porches, and other outdoor spaces. Note: that's electrical, not carpentry, finish, etc.

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both the trees that provide ipe and tigerwood injest sulfer,not kidding,it is normal for the green to show in the sawdust and the new wood.

John,
That's interesting-- thanks for the note on sulfur. So you've actually seen the greenish tinge, then, I suppose? Does if fade with time?

As for the fuzz, can you be more specific on why you think it's a non-issue? Are there specific causes of fuzz that you consider normal, or is it normal on wood the brazilian hardwoods? I've personally not observed this much fuzz on ipe decks I've been on, and since this is also my first look at tigerwood I'm not sure what to expect.

Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's one heck of niche market! Good luck.
Agreed, but we already do commercial and residential MEP design, so this isn't too much of a stretch.

As a new deck owner it became obvious that most contractors in our market are not capable of properly designing the electrical and lighting to go with a $30K+ project, even though it makes such a difference to the usability and aesthetics of the finished project. Plus it's fun and satisfying!

Thanks for the good wishes!

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Gee, for someone with anon as their company name you sure are critical and presumptive! Please be more considerate when posting, perhaps addressing the topic of the thread instead of engaging in flame wars.

To answer your question: yes, the name of the company is Decklectric. We provide professional electrical engineering and lighting design for decks, porches, and other outdoor spaces. Note: that's electrical, not carpentry, finish, etc.
If you hang around,
you will see.
If you don't,
who cares? :thumbsup: :laughing:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A little fuzz... some discoloration... couple of ugly boards... who cares how the deck actually *looks*, eh? Especially when using brazilian hardwoods... the homeowner pays a premium for that look, but in the end they really don't expect it to be *too* pleasing. Heck, as long as the deck passes inspection and the check clears then everything's gotta' be ok.... :jester:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
stop the fuzzies!

I did some research on fuzzing, or furring, and learned that it can be caused by moisture content issues, or wood preparation at the mill or on site. There seems to be mixed opinion on whether sanding really helps; most of the more informative sources I found suggest running a defelting pad or Osborne brush over the surface, and that this will also work on oiled/stained boards.

Anyone out their with experience using either of these techniques on deck boards to address furring?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just a thought, could the issue be from the milling of the wood? I have experienced patches of raised grain which I believed was caused by moisture in the wood then the heat generated by the milling blades. The greenish color could be caused by the fadding or the raised grain ( fuzz )
along with the oil that was applied. I'm not stating this is the cause, but if it is sanding should take care of the problem.
Sorry you got jumped on! Not every one here feels the need to chastize people about how they come to post on this site. Welcome aboard.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
This......is not a Homeowners Site.....This is not a DIYS site... This Site has a do it your self ask questions to a Contractor area...this is not ****ingggg it. ghesssssssssssssssssss. J.

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Just a thought, could the issue be from the milling of the wood? I have experienced patches of raised grain which I believed was caused by moisture in the wood then the heat generated by the milling blades. The greenish color could be caused by the fadding or the raised grain ( fuzz )
along with the oil that was applied. I'm not stating this is the cause, but if it is sanding should take care of the problem.
Sorry you got jumped on! Not every one here feels the need to chastize people about how they come to post on this site. Welcome aboard.

Oh look, deck pawn is still here... goodie :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for suggesting the possibility, and thanks for the warm welcome! Hope to see you around the forum.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I got a little "fuzz" on my deck just last night..... Thats a good thing:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
5,482 Posts
The fuzz

Have you complained to your contractor that your deck has excessive fuzz? I've heard just about every imaginable complaint, but never had someone complain about excessive fuzz. I'd get a good laugh out of that one.

People never cease to amaze me. They wait til their deck is done then complain about crap like "my boards are fuzzy". Did you ever think about looking at the deck boards before they got installed. That's the time to look at them & pick out the ones you don't like, not after they are installed & stained. You are in the deck building industry & you're on here complaining about fuzzy boards, give me a freakin break.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts