Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Artist and not a curator
14,333 Posts
I agree with this character assessment.

OP, speaking to the GC is your answer. He'll float you, especially if you've already completed but haven't been paid for the first two yet.

For the future, continue to use your new credit card for ALL materials and pay it off each month. Your credit history will grow and you'll get access to higher lines of credit. Won't take long!
Yeah, it really isn't anything to get it up. Like everything else at 26, only one direction to go.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I just wanted to give an update that I talked to the GC and he is gonna float the more expensive materials to finish this last job. Just wanna say thanks to all of you this thread helped me get it together and feel good about what I'm doing out here. I'll look forward to being around here more often.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had a sub one time who wanted to start to pay for more materials on his own. He was in a similar situation to yours with no credit. He found a credit card that you put money into to start, and after you use the balance you refill it. After about 6 months the kid had better a better credit score than most of us and about a year later he was approved for a mortgage and bought his first house. Wish I knew what type of card that was, I’m sure someone else on this forum knows ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
Glad you got paid. I was really worried you were getting taken advantage of and were going to get stiffed.
I had a drywall guy once who took over his fathers company and took on a huge condo job, hired a bunch of people and bought all the materials and of course the GC and developer stiffed him and he lost everything. Never recovered. Broke him completely. Happy to hear you're working for a guy helping you grow.

·
Registered
Custom
13,693 Posts
I had a sub one time who wanted to start to pay for more materials on his own. He was in a similar situation to yours with no credit. He found a credit card that you put money into to start, and after you use the balance you refill it. After about 6 months the kid had better a better credit score than most of us and about a year later he was approved for a mortgage and bought his first house. Wish I knew what type of card that was, I’m sure someone else on this forum knows ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's just a reloadable visa... doesn't report to credit... what you're probably referring to was a secured Visa... whatever you deposit into a savings account or CD/MoneyMarket and the amount is your credit line... after about six months up to a year, you can in most cases, remove the initial deposit once you have a successful credit history...

Basically removes all the risk for the bank for a new credit card holder with no credit...

Another way to quickly increase your credit score is to take out a small personal loan $500-$1000... put that money into a savings account and don't touch it... make the payments on it for 3-6 months and then pay it off (less interest paid to do it)... you now have $500-$1000 for the start of an Emergency fund and the credit boost...

Keep any balance of a credit card at a 1/3 of the balance until after the day they report it and then pay it off... no interest but you show credit utilization and management as the 1/3 of open balances is the sweet spot as it relates to credit...

Tread lightly with any credit... it can quickly snowball into a mess....

·
Registered
Demo
860 Posts
OP, keep updating/concluding your threads and we might just all pitch in for materials on the next one. Gotta show respect somehow. Who’s with me?

·
Artist and not a curator
14,333 Posts
Hey, did you end up with all the hammers?
No. I thought they ended up in Ohio or something. I just was on a search a few years ago for the near perfect hammer and bought a new one every time I saw a new one. Now I have like 3 or 4 almost new, but very useless hammers.

·
Super Moderator
10,680 Posts
Based on a search of the travelling hammer thread, looks like they ended up in Colorado with Letusbee.

Might be time to dust them off and continue the journey.

·
Registered
Residential Framing, Post Frame Buildings, Garages
1,273 Posts
Doesn't look like you ever posted a video with said hammers....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Nope. Didn't know how. And have since decided to keep images of me off the interwebs.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 45 Posts