Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the risk of sounding like a loser I joined this forum to seek the advice of more experienced guys because I don't know anyone I can ask without being super embarrassed.

I started out doing demo and cleaning up sites 8 years ago and most recently ended up doing roofing the past 3 years before starting a home services / handyman company 2 months ago. Most jobs have been at peoples houses where they just pay the supplies and I do the work. I never had a line of credit or card until early July bc I wanted to start in case a larger project came.

Well it came literally 2 days after I launched my website and credit card. So far I have completed a 2 projects for a GC who I really respect that pays 15 days after completing I wouldn't be able to take on any others until the first payout due to my lack of credit and being a few thousand out for materials from the previous two. He gave me the third project anyway and its due on Monday, before the first payout with about $900 in materials that I literally just don't physically have. I posted on craigs and got moving jobs lined up for mornings over the weekend with plans to complete the project in the afternoons but I'm kind of at a loss for any other ideas as all the loans and other CCs I applied for didn't get approved due to lack of history.
I don't have a problem with the labor.
I said I could have the job completed Wednesday after I have the $$ for materials but I feel really lame.

Is there a place to get loans specifically for subcontracting that could be sympathetic to the situation or what would you guys do?

Thanks for reading

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And welcome to the forum by the way.

Mike.
___
Thanks a lot Mike. I appreciate your advice. That's a great idea. I usually buy from a smaller shop in town but for this particular GC its required to buy from Home Depot through a tracking app (The contract he has is with a big real estate firm.)

It says in my onboarding materials that I would be marked for noncompliance if I buy outside of HD so I don't want to mess up.

I'll see if I can maybe only get some of the smaller things there and pay the larger stuff through my moving gigs

·
Registered
13,415 Posts
Welcome

Don’t feel lame. Ultimately they’re holding your money.

Two questions;

How old are you?

Where are you located?

Tom

·
GC/carpenter
43,965 Posts
26 is tough because you don't usually have bad credit you just don't have a track record.

Can you sit down with the GC and ask for a material draw? Explain your situation.

Mike.
___

·
Registered
13,415 Posts
What type of work are you contracted to do, what material do you need?

If you are buying material out of pocket how do they know where you bought it?

See if they have a Home Depot credit card you can use, let them cover the material on the first few.

Tom

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
26 is tough because you don't usually have bad credit you just don't have a track record.

Can you sit down with the GC and ask for a material draw? Explain your situation.

Mike.
___
Yeah that's exactly it. I opened my first CC ever earlier this month bc I knew if I wanted to be serious I would need it, a good offer just came earlier then I expected.

I explained to him I couldn't finance the 3rd job materials until after the payment for the first two, and I kind of worry he thought I just didn't trust he would pay me, when I said I didn't have the cash for materials for the third job. which totally isn't the case. I trust him fully I guess I should just be more open about my attempts to fund without success so he doesn't think I'm not trying.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What type of work are you contracted to do, what material do you need?

Tom
Its basically a bunch of small materials that add up.. smoke detectors, baseboards, window well covers, paint, cement ect. I'm doing handyman type work that preps the house for new buyer or sale.

·
Always Learning
8,722 Posts
Talk to the GC and explain everything the way you just did to us. I wouldn't never expect a new sub to front the materials for my job unles they were a speciality company.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Always Learning
8,722 Posts
Talk to the GC and explain everything the way you just did to us. I wouldn't ever expect a new sub to front the materials for my job unles they were a speciality company.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Talk to the GC and explain everything the way you just did to us. I wouldn't never expect a new sub to front the materials for my job unles they were a speciality company.

Thanks for saying this advice.. I'm gonna b more clear with him tomorrow about my lack of credit history so he doesn't mistake me for not trying.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,333 Posts
26 huh? I find you pretty damn impressive actually. Do NOT leave out the fact that you are going to take up some moving jobs just to try to make it so you can get enough for materials. If a GC has a once every 2 week policy, they won't hesitate to pay for materials if they "got a guy". With the hustle and humility you just showed, I am 100% positive you will not have a problem finding guys to try to snatch you up. You seem like you are, or at least could be, "a guy" which are few and far between.

Don't be timid to the GC, be forward and honest. If he won't pay for materials or won't make this easier for you... ****'em. You dodged a bullet. I'm willing to bet he doesn't understand the issue at hand and won't want to just hand you money. Was in a similar situation once and when sat down with the GC, he was actually pissed I didn't tell him earlier.

Good luck and stick around.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
26 huh? I find you pretty damn impressive actually. Do NOT leave out the fact that you are going to take up some moving jobs just to try to make it so you can get enough for materials. If a GC has a once every 2 week policy, they won't hesitate to pay for materials if they "got a guy". With the hustle and humility you just showed, I am 100% positive you will not have a problem finding guys to try to snatch you up. You seem like you are, or at least could be, "a guy" which are few and far between.

Don't be timid to the GC, be forward and honest. If he won't pay for materials or won't make this easier for you... ****'em. You dodged a bullet. I'm willing to bet he doesn't understand the issue at hand and won't want to just hand you money. Was in a similar situation once and when sat down with the GC, he was actually pissed I didn't tell him earlier.

Thank you. I'm getting ready to go move someone and then I'm gonna call him and reveal all the details I did in my post about my lack of credit and that I'm working in the ams.

Thanks to everyone who responded and giving me the confidence to handle this situatiom

·
Punching above his weight
12,109 Posts

I agree with this character assessment.

OP, speaking to the GC is your answer. He'll float you, especially if you've already completed but haven't been paid for the first two yet.

For the future, continue to use your new credit card for ALL materials and pay it off each month. Your credit history will grow and you'll get access to higher lines of credit. Won't take long!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts