Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Todd
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a an absolute fantastic property located central to all of the main arteries in my area in November 2013. The building has a loading dock and is situated on 7/10 of an acre which makes it perfect for our type of work. Very isolated as far as neighbors and yet seconds from everything in town I need. I have been burning 18 hr days since October since I was given the keys prior to closing due to buying as is.
As far as the install, I had purchased the compressor/drier/receiver tank almost three years ago. The dust collector is typical of powder coating paint booths but also similar to Strip Technologies Air Wall. I bought that also about two years ago. Planning on moving was a long patient task and when I was given an eviction notice in the middle of October (landlord need mores space for his business) I immediately found this property and the it felt like a gift from the gods...the booth was designed by me and built by a local company. After it was delivered raw I blasted the panels and beam structure, had it powdered by my sole powder company I do business with. The minute the inspector was done with the final on the aluminum roof, I pulled the forklift around and starting laying out the booth. It took me and a few good friends 7 days to install and a lot of recharging of batteries. 100lb box of Tek screws takes a lot of gumption to look at and get to the bottom. 2" supply galvanized pipe came with the compressor and I already owned it with the exception of a few couplers and 90's... The rest of the shop is still getting plumbed with 1" galvanized at the moment. We are up and running and it's going great so far!

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
How cool! Congrats, has to be a lot of weight off your shoulders. Hope to get the same done Later this year, just moved into my new property 4 months ago. I'm in envy!

·
Registered
158 Posts
That is an awesome set-up you have there. Quite inspiring, hope to have something similar in a couple of years.

Just curious what type of lights are those? Are they explosive proof for paint booths or more of a standard T8 fixture. I like the covers you made for them.

What are your plans for the main building?

·
Registered
214 Posts
That is beautiful man,wish you much success. :thumbup:
the dust collector bins are to small for the moon dust but I guess you will have to keep an eye on that as it also depends on how much use it gets and clean out routine.
maybe raise the dust collector 2-4' and build new boxes to hold more moon dust.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Looks very good. You going to be attending the SSPC show this year in Orlando? I'll be at the PDA booth. Booth number 426.

·
Todd
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is an awesome set-up you have there. Quite inspiring, hope to have something similar in a couple of years.

Just curious what type of lights are those? Are they explosive proof for paint booths or more of a standard T8 fixture. I like the covers you made for them.

What are your plans for the main building?
The lights are all T-8 and standard fixtures Tek screw inform the back like a std. Paint booth would install.

The building is 4,600 sq ft. and another 1,000 of office...right now the plan is to store as much media as I can afford and buy in bulk for a better price. I installed a 9k lb. lift so I can do long term worthy projects or quick flips.

·
Todd
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is beautiful man,wish you much success. :thumbup:
the dust collector bins are to small for the moon dust but I guess you will have to keep an eye on that as it also depends on how much use it gets and clean out routine.
maybe raise the dust collector 2-4' and build new boxes to hold more moon dust.
Thanks!!!

You are spot on saying all of this...to the T. I even was just saying the collector could stand to be lifted to the middle of the wall and put cones that feed dump bins or just barrels and get the attachment for rotating, for my forklift. The bins fill up every week. That will get old quick.
Moon dust is what you call it...we call it nestle powder. You must also shoot starblast?

·
Registered
797 Posts
I love the natural light in the spray booth. I would have loved that when finishing furniture. Nothing like all new stuff huh? Good luck with your new digs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
What is the receiver tank for? I would think it helps the compressor run smoother but I don't see it often or in the towable compressors. Congrats, great shop

·
Registered
12 Posts
...its not a towable, its an electric Atlas Copco (by me the best brand), old model, easy maintenance (better than new with sophisticated electronics)

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've taken several of those Atlas Capco compressors out and know someone close to me with 7-8 of them, very similiar to yours. I've had to work on the scrolls in those before too. Great compressors.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts