Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
paper hanger,painter
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a paper hanger so don't jump all over me,please.
I have to replace half of my roof and am getting estimates now but am wondering about specific shingle types. I am sure my wife will pick style and color but have read somewhere that Owens-Corning or GAF are not good and to go with IKO.
Any opinions from those that REALLY know?:thumbsup: Thanks,Chris

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Hopefully someone in your area can answer you better, as shingles are different around the country.

I wouldn't use any of them for my house. It would be Landmarks or Malarkey.

·
Roofer
681 Posts
Like MJW said, it's a regional thing, because I would install either of the three you mentioned or Landmarks, but the Landmarks would be at the bottom of the list, not the top.

I have never installed Marlarky but hear good things about them.

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
IKO has a poor, or I should say, extremely bad reputation in most areas, but roofers from the West Coast and Canada or nearby the border seem to have success with them.

Certainteed Landmark

Tamko Heritage

Those 2 are my best shingles.

Many roofer do like GAF Timberlines though, but it is still a toss-up since they took over ELK, whether or not they made them lkighter, but they do stick together very well.

Malarkey Alaskans have a Great reputation from anyone who has instaled them, but they are not available everywhere and I haven't ever used them, but wish I could.

Owens Corning OakRidge or Duration would be after all of the previous ones mentioned.

Ed

·
Roofer
681 Posts
Im just south of you in VA.

Around here IKO are discount shingles and their quality (or lack of) shows.

Go Certainteed or GAF, in that order.
In Youngstown both IKO and Certaindteed sale at the same price and more suppliers carry IKO than CT.

Certainteed is working it's way out of the bad rep they occurred during the 80's through 90's in which they were the number one manufacturer of failed shingles in both 3-tab and dimensional, but they have been coming back.
There's still only two local suppliers who stock them in volume tho, thus they are among one of the lease sold in my area along with IKO and Atlas.

I jsut went out to a Presidential Shake I installed last year, home owner thought she had a roof leak, it was actually the aircondition unit in the attic leaking, but I looked around the roof and it is a pretty roof indeed.

·
Registered
215 Posts
A recent Consumer Reports issue rated the OC Oakridge and the Landmark at 1st and second for price/quality. Just saying . . .

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
A recent Consumer Reports issue rated the OC Oakridge and the Landmark at 1st and second for price/quality. Just saying . . .
Last year was on a 7 year old OC Oakridge pro 25yr lam with cracks all over it. As a matter of fact thought they were Timberlines until I saw the spare bundle.

Landmark is about the only shingle I recommend and my brother who's a roofing contractor put Hunter Green on his house last year and the year prior I put Georgetown Gray on my rental home. All my builders go with Landmark and they have all been around for 20+ years.

The OC Duration seems like a good second choice but hope they don't crack like the Oakridge. Did a Duration and Oakridge last year and both laid out nice but had some color variations in some bundles.

Lately been getting a lot of calls on blow offs. Almost all are Timberlines nailed properly 60-65 mph winds reported. Funny thing is no calls bring me to Landmarks roofs. Of course the same can't be said about the New Horizons!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts