Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

When I first began building homes in the late 90's, my electrical rough in/trim costs were shy of $4k usually, give or take (minus fixtures). Now, its hard not to spend $12k for very similar work. While the steady incline of material costs has attributed some to this cost increase, it does not account for the bulk of the cost rise. Material costs for a $12k job come in at about $3k ... how do we justify the balance? Sparky is my second favorite of all the trades, and if I have to overspend somewhere, I'd prefer it be with him ... but I'd rather not needlessly overspend anywhere if I can help it (duh). I realize that the answer to this question is subject to many factors, but, in a-nut-shell, what are you paying for your electrical work? Specifically for new construction sfr. Does $12-14k seem within reason for a, basic, nothing fancy ... 23-2500sf rambler? :blink:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep ... electricians are, by far, the hardest working, most under paid, of all the trades ... except the "low voltage" variety ... bunch of whiners.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Hello,

When I first began building homes in the late 90's, my electrical rough in/trim costs were shy of $4k usually, give or take (minus fixtures). Now, its hard not to spend $12k for very similar work. While the steady incline of material costs has attributed some to this cost increase, it does not account for the bulk of the cost rise. Material costs for a $12k job come in at about $3k ... how do we justify the balance? Sparky is my second favorite of all the trades, and if I have to overspend somewhere, I'd prefer it be with him ... but I'd rather not needlessly overspend anywhere if I can help it (duh). I realize that the answer to this question is subject to many factors, but, in a-nut-shell, what are you paying for your electrical work? Specifically for new construction sfr. Does $12-14k seem within reason for a, basic, nothing fancy ... 23-2500sf rambler? :blink:
Sounds about right, maybe a little on the low side

·
Super Moderator
25,781 Posts
Sounds about right, hoss. I figure atleast 5 bucks a conditioned ft when i do a minimum estimate off a set of plans, if it has a big garage or a lot of porches i increase. My sparky gave me a price list he will stick to per plug, switch, can ect... but i dont use it. He bids the plans if i get a go ahead for the bid.

Not sure who is making more, but i know the hvac contractor is the easiest to figure, he is a set amount per ton, plumber is the hardest. My service sparky i would say does better financially per hour, but the other EC who does whole house remodels and new construction, has 18 2 man crews i believe, and does not do service, just works for builders. My plumber has a full time service van, he makes a good money off them it would seem.

With low volt it seems like 16 a foot is the new minimum for MEPs, certainly can go up A LOT from there. Its a lot higher than 8 years ago, but the whole house cost is higher.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guess its just the way things are nowadays ... everythings costing more. Thank you "democrats", oops I meant, ... "inflation" :whistling

Not to suggest that this is connected in any way to the cost of electrical, but does it make any sense, that the cost of crude oil is in the toilet as of recent, but all the things made from oil, like plastics and roofing and asphalt paving ... still command premium prices? More annoying than over paid electricians if you ask me ;) (sarcasm!)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts