Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Always Learning
8,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright sparky's...let me have it. Here is a service change out we did today. We had to move the service about 8' to allow for a new addition.

We prepped one day last week by installing the plywood, new panel, and exterior underground meter base.

This morning we got the trench dug open and hand dug to expose the existing line for the electric company. That was done by 9. They showed up at 12:30, cut power and we completed the exterior. They
livened us up and off they went.

My partner and I tagged teamed the changeover in the basement. We were able to re-route quite a few feeds directly into the new panel. The others were separated, junctioned and tied in. We were done by 5. Here's the two panels before and the new panel. My partner did the panel...he does a nice job I think.

ForumRunner_20140408_192005.jpg

ForumRunner_20140408_192029.jpg

Here's the foundation that was dug today after the old service was dead. You can see the new service on the left corner.

ForumRunner_20140408_192054.jpg

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
Looks good to me. Good quality panel, wires are neat, grounds and neutrals separated not that it makes a difference to me in a main panel. The only thing i would do differently is i prefer to go from the largest amp breaker down to the smallest on the buss. Just personal preference. I used to keep my grounds and neutrals separate but now i keep them together so if someone needs to move the circuit or at least unhook it during diagnostics it is easier to find.

·
Interior Remodeling
1,275 Posts
I like to see neutrals and grounds separated myself. Just the analness of stupid things I have. Plus if they ever decide to do a whole house generator with auto switch it will need done that way anyways. Looks good tho!

·
Always Learning
8,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's one of those goofy things, some areas it's code to separate and some it's not. Our regular electrician told us to just separate them because it's never not allowed for them to be separate. These are still bonded in the panel.

·
Registered
436 Posts
When you say "ground and neutral separated" you mean that they land in separate holes on the same buss? Together would mean that the land in the same hole on the same buss? It's been many years since I had my paws in a residential panel but there used to be a bar for neutrals and another bar for grounds.

Edit:
Put my glasses on and looked again. The panel above has two N/G bars. Separate would be ground to one, neutral to the other. Together would be go N/G to the bar of you choice...Correct?

·
Always Learning
8,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you say "ground and neutral separated" you mean that they land in separate holes on the same buss? Together would mean that the land in the same hole on the same buss? It's been many years since I had my paws in a residential panel but there used to be a bar for neutrals and another bar for grounds.

Edit:
Put my glasses on and looked again. The panel above has two N/G bars. Separate would be ground to one, neutral to the other. Together would be go N/G to the bar of you choice...Correct?
Yes, grounds on the ground buss and neutrals on the neutral buss. There is a screw and copper pin that connects the two on the neutral side. If you poco requires isolated neurtals or the panel is a sub panel, you can remove the screw and connecting pin to achieve that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts