Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting a new body for my truck.

I want a Scelzi.

Truck is a 2011 Ram 5500. It鈥檚 my dream truck, manual transmission, plan on keeping it forever. I hope. 馃憤

Body is a little beat up, rusting out in some places. Not a big fan of the rounded bodies, either.

My truck is Flame Red. I鈥檓 thinking of getting a black body for it. I think it鈥檒l look pretty sharp.

Here鈥檚 my current rig:

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Heres a pic of a red truck with a black service body I pulled off the inter webs. I think it looks great. Besides, black and red are my company colors anyway.

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle

Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They鈥檒l paint it red if I want it.

It鈥檒l be a extra 5 or 6 grand though.

Don鈥檛 want to make that the only reason I鈥檇 go with black though. Spending 22k on a body, not gonna skimp on the paint color.

Premium Member
5-6k for paint? That seems excessive.

Perhaps call the local dodge dealer. If they do alot of commercial they may have a relationship with the company. Maybe save some cash.

Although, to your question, I鈥檇 give six grand so I didn鈥檛 have to look at a mismatch truck all day.

Registered
How many miles on that rig?

It might be into "Throwing good money after bad money" territory. Depending on how much longer it's service life is.

I had an '05 service truck for years, and I contemplated putting a new body on it a few times, the numbers just didn't work out ever.

I just ran it until it died instead, then got a new one.

Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The up charge is for any color than black or white.

They will match Any color, but they charge out the &$$ to do it.

Truck has just under 200k miles. None of the Big 3 are making a manual anymore, and I looked all over for a 5500 stick shift. They aren鈥檛 that common.

I think the post 2010 Ram trucks with Cummins engines are a good enough base truck that they can be repaired for decades.

Wouldn鈥檛 waste my time doing that with a Ford.

Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What's wrong with your current body? 5-6K to paint a new body? That sounds way high to me too.
Several rust areas.

Doors are getting difficult to close. A few of he compartments are letting substantial amounts of water in.

It鈥檚 an obsolete Knapheide model. So limited parts available to repair it.

Don鈥檛 really like the rounded bodies. Prefer square ones.

Want a flip top on both sides. This one only has it on the driver side.

Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I actually wanted a red truck.

I don鈥檛 mind the black bodies.

All flatbeds and dump bodies are never, or extremely rarely, color matched.

Registered
I don't know how some of you guys run a manual in a work truck. I had one, never again. Nightmare in traffic and while towing.

At 200k miles, I would probably start considering a replacement. I've found that over 200k you never really know what is going to go wrong and when.

I've had too many down days with high mileage trucks to want to go back to that. I think I'm going to stay between 100-150k from now and try to at least recoup some equity before they are complete junk.

Registered
"At 200k miles, I would probably start considering a replacement. I've found that over 200k you never really know what is going to go wrong and when."

If it has a Cummins engine it still has a long way to go, providing it's been maintained properly.

Registered
The engine is just a part of the whole truck.

Those nickle and dime repairs get annoying. Unless you want to do a complete overhaul it seems like you end up losing several days a year to repairs at some point.

Wheel bearing here, clutch there. The worst though, at least here, is the rust gets you. Once that starts to happen your days are numbered. You can't win that fight.

Registered
Unbuilder of Eyesores
I had a dually f350 cab/chassis, diesel with 6 speed manual. It was my first truck. Had about 200k on it when I started rebuilding it to accept a brand new service body.

I fabbed brand new stainless brake lines, did new brakes, new egr cooler (dealer did it so couldnt delete), new oem head gasket and arp studs. Spent a small fortune in knick knacks at the dealer. I was fixing to blast the frame and repaint when I said **** it and signed for a new F550. The process was taking too long. I traded the old ford away to my brother but I regret that now. I could really use it, and I could鈥檝e finished the rebuild several times over by now.

New F550 runs daily, nothing but filters and tire rotation. More payload, more power, more reliable.

I should鈥檝e kept the old truck as a project for the back burner, but I have no regrets about buying a new rig.

If it breaks down and three guys are on the clock sitting on the side of the road, I鈥檓 bleeding money and I haven鈥檛 even paid for the wrecker yet, much less the repairs.

Registered
Unbuilder of Eyesores
Nice looking truck Seven, I like the squared off service body personally.

I'm going to tear into this old girl soon. Will probably do a build thread. I think I can diy fix the utility body leaks and repaint the whole ***** for short money. I'll do the mechanical and wiring repairs. I'll probably bring the body home and drop it off in a field, put one of my guys on it with a sandblaster, then haul it back inside my shop for primer.

Biggest material costs will be paint and primer I believe. My compressor does 17.3 cfm @ 175psi so should be good for paint.

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

Sorry to hijack.

Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Like the idea of the stripes. Been planning on doing black and white stripes anyway. 馃憤

Thinking maybe I鈥檒l do a black and white stripe across the cab, and then transition to a red and white stripe across the body.

Res, black and white is a pretty cool color scheme.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

As far as running a manual, I personally can鈥檛 stand autos, most of all for towing. Zero control.

But I got my CDL almost 25 years ago, driven tons of non-synchros, so I鈥檓 a gear jammer from way back, don鈥檛 mind shifting at all. Love the control when towing.

Told this story here before, but I damn near lost my load, my truck/trailer, and my head, when a stupid fkking automatic burned out up in the hills while hauling block.

I was in such a rage if I didn鈥檛 have $10k in materials and $20k in tools on that truck, I would have jumped out and let that fkking roll off a cliff.

Got my current 5500 with a Manual shortly after that. 馃憤馃ぃ

Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice looking truck Seven, I like the squared off service body personally.

I'm going to tear into this old girl soon. Will probably do a build thread. I think I can diy fix the utility body leaks and repaint the whole * for short money. I'll do the mechanical and wiring repairs. I'll probably bring the body home and drop it off in a field, put one of my guys on it with a sandblaster, then haul it back inside my shop for primer.

Biggest material costs will be paint and primer I believe. My compressor does 17.3 cfm @ 175psi so should be good for paint.

View attachment 521532

Sorry to hijack.

Like that big box. 馃憤

If I didn鈥檛 use a rack much I鈥檇 look into one of those.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts