Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been debating on which saw to buy. My Hitachi was damaged in a accident and now I am back to square one. I have owned the Hitachi C10FSH , Bosch 10 "( 4410L and small Makita Lso714, and all have been really good saws. I have also been looking at going the 12" route ( Hitachi Green Monster ) because I can get such a good deal on the saw. My question first invloves the 12" Hitachi: anyone have anything to say about this saw and the lcd panel it has, operation, qaulity, and precision.. I have also looked at getting the Makita 1013FL..( but the miter scale is a deal breaker, unless u can get used to it )

Any thoughts and comments on any saw that you would recommend would be great...

( All Work is Trim or Kitchen install Related )

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,011 Posts
I have the Hitachi 12" slider. The digital scale is a gimmick. It is only accurate to 1/2 degree, not enough for me. I would like 1/10 degree. The saw has to much deflection for great cuts on large trim and moldings. I has its little brother the cb8f 8 1/2" slider which is a fantastic saw. I figured it would be on par with this. I was wrong.

I still use it and get great cuts from it. I stuck a Forrest chopmaster blade on it and it does well. You have to be conscious about the deflection or the cut will suffer. If you are just cutting moldings and flat stock the 15" Hitachi is the saw you want. If you are using it as a general purpose saw including moldings it will be adequate. The Makita got a better rating and had the least deflection of them all. At the time the Kapex was not available. Both the Makita and the Kapex are in the upper price range.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do alot of SG trim and higher end install's with kitchens, and mainly lay my crown down. But I am about precision cutting and half degrees are for rookies......

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have had such bad luck with milwaukee tools in the past and I would be rather hesitant to drop the coin on this saw. It looks great on paper, and the reviews are also fantastic. I guess I need to go play with this saw at the local tool shop.

·
Tech Geek
2,654 Posts
I have had such bad luck with milwaukee tools in the past and I would be rather hesitant to drop the coin on this saw. It looks great on paper, and the reviews are also fantastic. I guess I need to go play with this saw at the local tool shop.
The ONLY complaint I have about it is the bevel gauge. It needs to be more accurate.

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
The ONLY complaint I have about it is the bevel gauge. It needs to be more accurate.

I agree with that- and the slide lock is small and difficult to get at - otherwise its a great saw, I love that 1/10th deg readout. wish they'd copy bosch and install those little slide out stand things, (and a flip stopper) I really miss those.

got it set up on the HD stand, msuv - folds up fast, and the huge wheels make it easy to travel anywhere.

Laurie.

http://lauriescustomfinishing.ca

·
I like Green things
23,010 Posts
I like my 12" Bosch, got the Kapex in my sights for next month (birthday present?). I really like my Bosch with the Matsush!ta blade. The Milwakee is huge, it needs a ton of room behind it. I bought an older 8 1/2" Hitatchi like Leo was talking about, at a pawn shop for 150 bucks. That saw is dead on, really nice saw.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I'm not a particularly good carpenter so take my advice with a grain of salt, but I do trim work for custom AV trimouts, and I've used that saw. The 12" Hitachi is a pretty so-so piece, I found the Bosch to be alot more accurate and just seemed better build, I think I'd even take the Dewalt over it.

got the Kapex in my sights for next month
The Kapex is sexy but is there something I'm missing or does calibrating it look like a pain in the arse?

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,011 Posts
I found the DeWalt to stiff to operate easily. It has a nice tll capacity if you are cutting baseboard. I think it can handle 5 1/2" up and down.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for all the feedback, I think I will go have a gander at the milwaukee slider tomorro after work. We will see if some else is there to tempt me...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
my god, the milwaukee is heavy but is a nice handling unit. it has tremendous power. some dude told me about metabo as being a good saw. any thoughts.?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts