Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Stone Guy
369 Posts
Same one I have.

I never was impressed with the water hook-up. They last for maybe one job...but even when they work, I just find it much easier to hold the damned hose with my left hand. Alternatively, I'll just set the hose on a lower setting and lay it right next to the cut--which is what I recommend my workers do... I hate it when someone cuts off their own leg.

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
I never was impressed with the water hook-up.
I agrre with the piss poor quick connect.

I madeup a short piect od lighter, more flexable hose that hooks up tp garden hose and saw. takes the weight off the fitting.

I made it out of a coiled air hose. works good for me.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I am 3 seconds away from taking a 10 lb sledge to this think. FAWKER WILL NOT START. Started fine at the dealer when I bought it. Now I think I flooded it. Waited an hour. Folliwed procedure by the book. Nutt'in. It's ruining my day and costing me money.

·
Registered
506 Posts
CJKarl said:
I am 3 seconds away from taking a 10 lb sledge to this think. FAWKER WILL NOT START. Started fine at the dealer when I bought it. Now I think I flooded it. Waited an hour. Folliwed procedure by the book. Nutt'in. It's ruining my day and costing me money.
Hold the throttle open, click the switch to the start position and the throttle should stay open. Prime a couple times, full choke and pull. Once it fires, half choke and repeat.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hold the throttle open, click the switch to the start position and the throttle should stay open. Prime a couple times, full choke and pull. Once it fires, half choke and repeat.
He hit the nail on the head. Stihl's have a funny way of starting. Has to be exactly this way or will fight you to start (unless its hot).

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
My old 400 I used to be able to turn the choke off while it was sputtering and it would rev up. The 420's no such luck. Feels like something that could be improved upon greatly and its pretty much the only gripe of stihl saw owners.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
My helper lives near the place were I bought it. Sent him home early and told him to pay attention to start up procedure. First thing the dealer tells him "Don't follow the procedure in the manual, it will never start" WTF?

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
My helper lives near the place were I bought it. Sent him home early and told him to pay attention to start up procedure. First thing the dealer tells him "Don't follow the procedure in the manual, it will never start" WTF?

Had a similar situation last week ,good thing I ignored the instructions /manual . Built a exterior chimney on a house for the installation of a soapstone stove. Paid $175.00 bucks for a "top notch" thimble to pass threw the wood frame side wall. Instructions said cut 17" tall x 16" wide hole in wall. The centers on studs are 14.5" not 16" like they said. If I would have followed instructions,birds would have full access to his living room.:laughing:

I read one guy on CT would always post "instructions are ONLY the manufactures suggestions":laughing:

Glad to hear you got her up and running !:thumbsup:

21 - 40 of 48 Posts