Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, GCMan requested a saftey forum about 2 months ago and I think its a great idea.
I usually don't place new forums on the front page because they don't look right being empty, but I think this topic needed to be up front.

I hope everyone enjoys and thanks to GCMan for suggesting it! :Thumbs:

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
That's what I'm doing wrong. I knew it was something.

·
Registered
114 Posts
picture this- mid december 40 degrees 8/12 pitch hot roof. no harness. went to work for local roofing company on weekends for extra cash. 3rd day on the job, there was ice on the roof that had to be melted before we could even start. i'm supposed to hold the mop bucket so it doesn't roll of the roof. i request a harness. the boss-man says they don't use them and proceeds to question my manhood for requesting one. fearing the loss of my job, i comply. 5 minutes later after slipping on a missed ice patch,i'm staring up 22 feet from where i started.(truly thinking as i land that all internal organs are removing themselves in protest.) once i recovered my breath,i got up (my 18 year old manhood had been questioned, remember?) and tried to go back to work. shortly after , my body caught up to my brain and informed it that all was not right in the land of oz. 3 x-rays, 2 pain shots , and six hours later i left the e.r. with plenty of vicodin,and orders not to even get up for 2 weeks. after 2 weeks i went to work as you would expect . only to find i no longer had a job. so, i asked to be paid what i was owed.(about $225.00) he paid,i went home. a week later i started getting hospital bills totalling about $1500.00. knowing worker's comp should be covering this, first i called the hospital to inform them of the mistake. their response was that i had been admitted as self-pay,and would need documentation from my employer to transfer liability. i then called my former boss and explained the situation. he then informed ME that having only worked 3 days i had not yet been officially been an employee!(i.e. - he hadn't filed the gov. paperwork yet .) he'd paid me in cash he 'd claimed ,so i wouldn't have to hold my check till monday.(it was saturday evening.) therefore, since he hadn't yet filed the paperwork, he technically was not responsible for my bills. and would NOT pay them. nor did i get any monetary compensation for the time i was off. i looked into suing him, but was told i had no case. i was told that since he had not filed the paperwork, and i had taken my pay in cash, i had no way to prove i HAD worked for him. so due to no safety equipment, i worked my a$$ off to get one bad back and $1250.00 in debt. now if that ain't a [email protected]#%*!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Safety Tip #2

Don't dive across a 10 pitch between dormers to save a new Hitachi Paper Nailer Downer Gun (it's late). Don't do this especially when the gun proves to be defective later on. It's just not woth it...

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Safety tip #3

Use snips to cut tack strip. Not your teeth.

true story

·
Registered
262 Posts
Safety Tip #4

Make sure you have a roll of Toilet Paper in your truck. Returning from the woods "one-socked" can lead to unsafe circumstances.

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Safety tip #5

Don't piont a nailgun at your face on a haphazardly place ladder in the mud. Then akwardly position yourself to nail.

this is what my brother did and caught a nail in the neck 1/8" from his artery. Lucky for him he's always a muscle tense maniac and the nail only stuck in his skin. :cheesygri

·
Registered
262 Posts
Safety Tip #6 (serious)

NEVER cut plywood on a roof. ALWAYS cut where the installer isn't (attic). This may sound odd, but here in 10 and 12 pitch land, saw dust on sheathing can make for a hell of a ride.

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Safety tip #7

Never walk up a steep pitched roof with your finger on the trigger.
Your liable to catch a staple in you knee. Then through the gun off the roof and get yelled at for dropping tools again. :cheesygri

The trials and tribulations of a green horn. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Safety Tip #8

Never lean ladder against osb sheathed gable without pegging feet of ladder into the ground REAL GOOD. Slippy slippy, breaky breaky. if this should happen, remember to step off the ladder at the very last second as it comes crashing to the ground.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Safety Tip #9

Never hold the safety back on a Hitachi Framer and shoot spikes at the Porta********************ter. Also, never throw 1 1/2" stone from the graded and not yet poured basement floor at abovementioned porta********************ter when low man on the ladder is taking care of business in abovementioned facility.

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
old27 said:
Never hold the safety back on a Hitachi Framer and shoot spikes at the Porta********************ter. Also, never throw 1 1/2" stone from the graded and not yet poured basement floor at abovementioned porta********************ter when low man on the ladder is taking care of business in abovementioned facility.
You do that too. ;)

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Safety tip #10

When sheathing a entry don't put you extension ladder in softground and climb ladder. Also don't properly position sheathing without making sure the ladder is solid against something solid. Your liable to take a ride all the way to the ground and if they didn't dig out a hole for a pier your legs might be broken.

True story I landed with me legs between the rungs and a$$ on the rung with my legs daggling int said hole. All I got out of that was a ride of my life and a nasty scrap on my upper thigh. :eek:

What are the odds? :Thumbs:

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
Safety tip #11

Don't toss sheets from the peak of the roof. You might force a guy to jump straight up to clear the sheet 8 feet length. Then just miss the boss on the ground level.

Thanks Jake :Thumbs:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts