Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had the old one for years. Always considered it the absolute best sander available.

That is until we got the new one.

Wow! What an improvement. Absolutely the best sander out there.

Go use one where ever you can. You'll be a believer too.

Sanders.jpeg

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,639 Posts
What is better about the new one. What did they improve on?

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It appears to have a higher RPM

Much better control on the coarse setting. The old one was a tricky thing to control on aggressive mode.

Dust pick up is improved with the new duct thingy under your fingers.

It fits your hand better. Seeings how we are used to holding things with more girth. :whistling

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,639 Posts
Tell Wayne if he want to look stylish he's gonna have to put on his own glasses.

·
I like Green things
23,018 Posts
125 or 150 Gus?

I have the 125, my buddy has the 150. I perfer the 125, I use it alot verticle and over my head. It is a sweet machine. If you need to hog out a lot of material look at the RAS 115.

I love new tools, so much fun.

They actually have a jet stream thingy, that circulates air through the backing pad for even better dust extraction and cooler running sand paper.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That be 150

I think that the tool rep should just drop these off at every shop in his territory for a couple weeks, give them the paper too.

Come back after a couple weeks with an invoice because they won't be letting go of that sander and vac.

Not that often I give such an endorsement on a tool but this little heaven maker deserves it.

Nice Leo, I'll show it to him. See if he'll go with the John Lennon look.:laughing:

·
Freelance Gynecologist
94 Posts
I think the 2 biggest things I like about the new Rotex is the switch on top for switching sanding modes, and also i think ergonomically it feels better in your hands.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the 2 biggest things I like about the new Rotex is the switch on top for switching sanding modes, and also i think ergonomically it feels better in your hands.
I like how fast it is. And how nice of a job it does.:thumbsup:

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Rubin (red) paper is all we have ever used.

Can our dream get better?

Please elaborate. Talk slow and soft

·
I like Green things
23,018 Posts
Rubin is the cheapest they make, I feel that is starts out cutting really nice but, loses it's edge quickly.

Brilliant 2 is way more durable, yet also more expensive. <--- Winner to me for long lasting and good results.

Cristal is very heavy duty, too much for finish sanding.

Saphir is extreamley tough but, only good for stripping finishes or rough shaping. I use alot of 36 Saphir with my Rotex and RAS.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll try some Brilliant, sounds good.
The Rubin does loose it's teeth a little too fast but I didn't want to sound like a little beotch when we have so good anyway.:laughing:

Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
3 Posts
what i like about the Rotex is that it allows for separate dust collection, it has a bigger motor, and a toolless change system.

·
Still have all my fingers
755 Posts
We have had the old one for years. Always considered it the absolute best sander available.

That is until we got the new one.

Wow! What an improvement. Absolutely the best sander out there.

Go use one where ever you can. You'll be a believer too.

I bought one of these yesterday and will be using it to sand a kitchen tomorrow. This is my first Festool so I am exited to see what all the hubub is about ........

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I trust you got the vac too.

Your life just got a whole lot better.:thumbsup:

Report back, I'm excited to hear what you have to say

·
Contractor
4,736 Posts
does it have a variable speed motor? I've always used the little bosch sander-looks about the size as the Rotex. Can anyone provide a comparison between the bosch and festool?

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
does it have a variable speed motor? I've always used the little bosch sander-looks about the size as the Rotex. Can anyone provide a comparison between the bosch and festool?
I used a Bosch sander before i bought the older Rotex. I think I paid about $150 for it. I thought it was a good machine. Still is and we use it from time to time.
It does not have near the strength the rotex has and the oscillating action slows down quite a bit when pressure is applied.
There must be a difference in the action as well because the Rotex leaves no scratches.

The biggest difference between the Rotex and the rest of the field is it's two stroke setting. The aggressive setting comes close to replacing the belt sander without the scratches. It would dig a hole through the floor if you left it in one spot too long. Great for leveling two glued parts together.
Then flip to fine sand and finish it up.

Yes it has variable speed.

This is a serous sander for those that live on whats left over.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts