Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys I just got a new roof on a 1909 house. It turns out there was 4 layers of asphalt and one cedar shake. (Yikes) well the problem I have is now there is a 2" gap between the shingles and the siding. shouldnt the roofer have put something in between the shingles and the siding to keep out the weather etc?

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Now this brings up an intresting question, how would you rate your contractor?

1 threw 10

1= The fella shows up to the sell smelling like Jack, in a 74 station wagon with a wheel barrel tied on top. His help stand out side the car throwing trash in the street like a street gang.

5= Looks like he's been working, gets a call or two on the cell durring your meeting, truck looks used but taken care of. (this is the stage the contractor will reach just before he hires a sales rep to meet you, this guy has a handfull of good crews)

10= driving a brand new car, cell rings of the hook, has a new laptop and asks you to come by the showroom to pick somthing out. (this is the guy you will pay the most, he has a number of medium rated crews, he can't keep the really good ones because he squeezes them to much, paying for the shop, to keep them)

If your contrctor is a 1-3, forget about it, the last time he will ever see your place was in his rear view.

If he was a 4-6, he will work with you on it but give him a break, he probably has his hands full.

Now if you got yourself a 6-10, make them serve you food and grapes.

Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tHANKS bOB, i HAVENT PAID THEM THE LAST 1/2 OF THE MONEY SHOULD THEY HAVE PUT THIS STEP FLASHING IN BRAN-NEW?

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
yes, in may opinion, they should have installed it new, however I have seen some crews reuse all they can with flash hubs and edge, just because I don't re-use doesn't mean I set the industry standard.

Bob

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
It should be a series of metal pieces layed one per shingle course, btween the courses.

·
Commercial construction
606 Posts
Drewzer said:
tHANKS bOB, i HAVENT PAID THEM THE LAST 1/2 OF THE MONEY SHOULD THEY HAVE PUT THIS STEP FLASHING IN BRAN-NEW?
A roofer is a sub contractor. He answers to the General Contractor. If you have no general contractor, then YOU are the general contractor. The general contractor on your job is not competent. Fire him, and get a new one.

A good general contractor will make sure that this sort of stuff doesn't happen to you. Get one. Keep him.

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
You dont need a general if youre dealing with reputable contractors. General contractors are added cost to your project.

·
Commercial construction
606 Posts
AaronB. said:
You dont need a general if youre dealing with reputable contractors. General contractors are added cost to your project.
1. We can usually get a better price, a better sub, and better workmanship than than the homeowner can get for himself.

2. OUR customers get flashing.

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
I would say it partially true....you may get a better price, but who are you dealing with?, you might get equal quality as I perform, but not seen too often, and of course we always provide new flashings.

I have never seen a GC's roofer that does it right. I am in the Chicago area. They usually wring the roofers to the point that if they did the roof to spec, they would go bankrupt. This is why general contractors should stay out of the roofing business. They all say they know their roofing, but none I have seen actually do.

·
Commercial construction
606 Posts
AaronB. said:
...general contractors should stay out of the roofing business...
Amazingly enough, my customers seem to want roofs on the structures that I build for them, so I don't get much choice.

...They usually wring the roofers to the point that if they did the roof to spec, they would go bankrupt
I make sure that my roofs are installed according to the specifications. We are still solvent at this time.

·
Commercial construction
606 Posts
Aaron,
I socialize with most of my subs. I attend their kids' birthday parties. I like them, and they are my friends. I even went to trade school with a few of them 30 years ago. However; when it comes right down to it, I work for the customer first, and I don't give a $#it WHO goes insolvent. The freakin' roof gets installed according to the code, and according to the specifications, and that's the way it is. PERIOD.

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
Hey, Mike, I see your point.

My point was that up this way, the GC's seem to take the customer's money low ball the roofers and force them to do what they can with the available funds, and blame them when the roof isnt to spec. Makes no sense to me.

You should always care if your roofer goes into insolvency because you want him to be around if something goes wrong.

Lowballers are great for going under, because they do not charge enough, in most cases to install a proper waterproofing system.

We do not lowball or work for gc's for this reason.

Good day.

·
Commercial construction
606 Posts
Aaron,
My subs are self employed contractors. I hire good subs, I treat them fairly, and I expect them to make money. I want them to be happy to work for me again in the future. Having subs that you have built a good relationship with, and that you can trust to do the job right, is in the customer's best interest. It costs money to do this, and I think that it's worth it. I cost more than the other GCs in my area, but I do premium work. I think that spending the money to do the job right is cheaper in the long run. I take good care of my customers, and I take good care of my subs. That is the way that I do business, and that's the way it's gonna stay.
Best regards,
Mike

P.S. Around here, the work gets done to MY standards, which are higher than what the code calls for. The customers know it, and the subs know it. Anyone who doesn't like it is NOT going to have a nice day. That's the way I have always done it, and that's not gonna change either.

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
Well, I wish everyone would think this way, cuz there sure is a helluva lot of bad roofing contractors in this area selling crap and installing even crappier.

Many of these so called "roofing" contractors operate with general construction insureance, avoiding the relative high cost of roofing GL and WC. Does this happen in your area?

·
Commercial construction
606 Posts
AaronB. said:
Well, I wish everyone would think this way, cuz there sure is a helluva lot of bad roofing contractors in this area selling crap and installing even crappier.

Many of these so called "roofing" contractors operate with general construction insureance, avoiding the relative high cost of roofing GL and WC. Does this happen in your area?
Yup. Ultimately the customers pay the price for it, just like Drewzer did. It's a shame.

Just keep doing them right, Aaron. It takes a few years of suffering to build a good reputation, but it's worth it in the long run.

Best wishes,

1 - 20 of 20 Posts