Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We did a roof on the 12th and middle of last week the h/o calls me and says it's leaking. So after work me and my lead go check it out, get in the attic everything and can't figure out where the water is coming from. The thing about it is its showing up on the 1st floor not the second. Pretty much every room in the house has some sort of water damage. So tracking where the water is coming from isn't that easy. On my first visit I cut out the ceiling and found all the plumbing for the shower on the second story ( a vent stack is right there to). So I cut the trap out and replaced it. That was Thursday Friday we had bad rain and nothing, I get a call from him Saturday saying he has water on the floor, so I go over and go on the roof take the pipe boot off the stack, pull like 10 shingles off ice and water it, Karnak it, pipe boot , shingle it and flex seal it. It rained really good last night and he said it's leaking again, Wtf! According to him or was a quarter size puddle in the morning (i have never seen more then a dry pot on the floor under it). The stack reduces from 3" to 1.5" somewhere in the wall on the second floor. Is it posible enough rain could go in the stack, and a leak where ever it reduces. Any other ideas? I don't want to go cutting holes in all his walls. As far as the roof is concerned I'm 100% positive it's not leaking.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I had a plumber forget to glue a joint in the stack in the attic and every time it got cold the warm sewer gas would condensate in the pipe.
The moisture would run back down the pipe and leak out the joint and leave a wet spot on the ceiling.

Good luck.........nicko

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So what would make you think you needed to replace the shower trap?
That's where it looked to be coming from. And I ran the tub for about 3 mins, and it wasn't draining. So I knew it was pretty clogged, so I figured that was a good place to start.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Stick an elbow on all your plumbing vent penetrations. Will help to eliminate the rain back through them idea. Although I think that is a long shot.

Chimney(s), HVAC vents, Roof mounted HVAC unit?

Rain blowing through a gable end or vent?

"Every room in the house has water damage (1st floor)"...

Condensation issue?

Any lower roofs where a bad flashing would let rain flow in ?

About five years ago I spent 5 weeks fixing a house after the kids built it....:whistling

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Stick an elbow on all your plumbing vent penetrations. Will help to eliminate the rain back through them idea. Although I think that is a long shot.

Chimney(s), HVAC vents, Roof mounted HVAC unit?

Rain blowing through a gable end or vent?

"Every room in the house has water damage (1st floor)"...

Condensation issue?

Any lower roofs where a bad flashing would let rain flow in ?

About five years ago I spent 5 weeks fixing a house after the kids built it....:whistling
It was anad leaker when we got to it, here's the before pictures. I don't have after.

Wall Roof Asphalt Cement Road surface

White Wall Grey Line Pattern

Its a hip roof so no gable vents, no hvac units, just 2 pipes on the main. There is a lower roof, but it's a good 15 feet away from the leak, and all the flashing was just re done, and that spot was done by me so I know it's right.

Wall Flagstone Cement Line Road surface

Wall Pattern Cement Design Floor

1 - 20 of 41 Posts