Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

New ridge.

3K views 37 replies 9 participants last post by  stuart45 
#1 ·
Starting a new ridge on my roof. Just got the materials in.
Plant Grass Bedrock Natural landscape Grassland

See less See more
#24 ·
Thatch lasts anywhere from 15- 60 years. It depends on various factors. The type of thatch is one. Water reed is the best, wheat straw and long straw not so good. A very damp climate shortens it's life as well.
Also depends how good the thatcher is. Pack it too loose and it leaks, too tight and it can't breathe and rots.
Ridges are always done with long straw as it bends over the top, so only last about 10 years. Getting the ridge done is really important with thatch

#25 ·
Class is in session, Stu.

When is there too much up there and it needs a stripping?
How do you flash a chimney to thatch?
Just a few questions for now.
Thanks for humoring us dumb yanks. We never see thatch in Ohio. 😁

🍻
It can be over thatched if it's worn down a bit thin and it's not rotted. Sometimes the lot gets stripped.
Flashing around the chimney is done with a sand/cement fillet. Not sure if you can see it in the photo. Can't use lead like for slates or tiles and it won't dress down on the thatch.

#23 ·
What is under that? Just perlins? 1x6? Open space?

How do you keep the mice and other critters out and what does it look like from inside?

Here, if I had a pile of basically grass or reeds, it would be full of mice within a week.

Huanta virus would be my worry here.

Not knocking it, but just another Yank with absolutely no idea about thatch. I assume it works, since it's been used for centuries or even longer.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

#28 ·
Rafters and purlins. Has to be a steep pitch for thatch.
Rats can be a problem, like birds and squirrels. Grey ones that came over from the USA are worse than the native Reds.
Never heard of that virus, is it like Covid?;)
Used to be a cheap method of roofing years ago when people who worked the land used it, but nowadays it can be expensive.
I built an extension about 10 years ago and used Welsh slate for that.

#32 ·
looks like a roadrunner to me, another famous Amrican bird :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.