Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Vagitarian
3,589 Posts
Those jobs are far and in between coming out for bid anymore. The only people that can afford to build anything anymore are hospitals and the govt.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those jobs are far and in between coming out for bid anymore. The only people that can afford to build anything anymore are hospitals and the govt.
This is a Dollar Store, we did a Bass Pro this year also for the same GC. I would like to think my relationship with the GC helped me on these.

We also did some college work this summer.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Nice.
Wish we had some soil like that to work with around here.
That soil is not the native material. This whole site was filled in with structural fill. 5' to 8' in some places. Around 8,000 tons of it and another 2000 tons of item #4 for asphalt sub base. What you see in that photo is the fill material.

I never got off of the dozer for weeks, the roller never stopped and the trucks just kept coming in, getting stuck, being pulled out all to do it again on the next load. The compaction testers were a royal pain, material to dry, to wet, lifts an 1" to thick, you get the picture.

The footings on the back side were just about at existing elevation with a 10' back wall, the whole inside of the building had to brought up that much.

The top soil we stripped, stock piled and reused at the end. I was lucky to have enough so didn't have to buy any, just move it around (twice).

This site also included water line, septic system, light pole bases (huge ones), electrical trenches, all concrete prep, asphalt prep, and lots of compaction tests.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Here is a photo of the hitching posts we put in for the Amish to use. We put two of these in for them. They would stop by often and see if I had any extra fill to haul off.

DSCN0663 (Medium).jpg

Here is a photo of the back wall footing excavation, the finish floor was
10' above this.
DSCN0522 (Medium).jpg

·
Stud
605 Posts
This is a Dollar Store, we did a Bass Pro this year also for the same GC. I would like to think my relationship with the GC helped me on these.

We also did some college work this summer.
Bass Pro must've been a good size job. The only one I've seen was huge. Dollar store must be doing good. They built one in the hood in the next town.

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
The compaction testers were a royal pain, material to dry, to wet, lifts an 1" to thick, you get the picture.
That's what they get paid for. If the geotechs were not being a PIA they wouldn't be doing their job. :rolleyes:

Compacted dirt for engineered fill can be a pain, especially this time of year. We have so much limestone here that usually if you talk about structural fill, your talking about shot rock. Haul it in, dump it, spread it out in 18" lifts and walk it in with a D9. Only thing the geotech gets his pantys in a wad about is if you are hauling it in too fast and you don't get enough passes over it with the dozier.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bass Pro must've been a good size job. The only one I've seen was huge. Dollar store must be doing good. They built one in the hood in the next town.
The Bass Pro was an existing store that they retro fitted. They built the nicest and most amazing retail store in the area. We did all of the interior removals, concrete cutting and removal, outside prep work etc.

The dollar store chain I was working for have over 10,000 stores so they are growing. Matt Kensenth drives the sprint cup car.

Here is some photos of Bass Pro, this was in the very first week. You should see what it looks like know, amazing transformation.

DSCN0360 (Medium).jpg

DSCN0365 (Medium).jpg

DSCN0374 (Medium).JPG

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Mudpan,

One on the pits was for a large footing to hold a new aquarium for bass. The other larger, deeper holes were for large footings for an over head structure of some sort that extended out the front of the building. The footings were 4' deep and at least 5' x 5' in size.

We saw cut close to 1000' lineal feet for trenches to hold all the plumbing and electrical. Also did all the removals of concrete and back fill.

Was a very fun job, good supervisor, no other subs to get in the way. Had the whole place to our selves.

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
Mudpan,

Had the whole place to our selves.
Must have been a low stress schedule. I usually would have footing and underground utility crews tripping all over each other.:thumbup: Those retail jobs usually want you complete yesterday and have heavy liquidated damages- and they are legitimate- every day that they are not open is a day's profit lost for the owner.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Wow.... great job.... and just in time for you.... going to get pretty cold up there pretty soon.....

Do they still make Utica Club beer up there.... I was a sorta local distributor for them back in the late 60's.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts