Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A plumber that i have been using, and recommending, just gave one of my customers a bill for, supply and install of new fixtures in a powder room.
She asked me to look at the bill.
I was shocked to say the least .
I'm not against any one making a profit, far from it.
Vanity I know was $2250 with countertop. I picked it up, and installed it, and the under mount sink, ready to roll.
I had to remove the shut offs to install the vanity, put new ones on. My tab.
Basically supply and install toilet, taps drains etc. The vanity was billed to his tab including sink also.
$6500 and change.
When she questioned, and pushed the issue, they admitted to a $1700 dollar mistake and almost $500 on a previos bill for another bathroom.
Toilet bolts were itemized at $15. Give me a break.Won't be using them again.:censored:

·
General Contractor
8,111 Posts
It depends on the vanity, I priced some vanities for a customers and my cost was $700-1000, depends on the manufacturer.

When I was building my house each vanity was almost 2k and that was without installation or plumbing work, so you never know.

·
Hair Splitter
18,335 Posts
It depends on the vanity, I priced some vanities for a customers and my cost was $700-1000, depends on the manufacturer.

When I was building my house each vanity was almost 2k and that was without installation or plumbing work, so you never know.
Most vanities I install are on average $1500 without top.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I make mistakes once in a while...its almost always against me...ive never made a $1700 mistake in my favor

ive made $1000 mistakes in the customers favor more than once

he admitted to a 2nd over billing that he didn't have to...he was honest about it

everyone makes mistakes

is there something he could have said or did after the fact that would have kept him as your plumber?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Probably not. It's unfortunate.
I have a third bathroom still to do for this customer.
The vanity was about 2200 dollars retail cost at the wholesaler. I helped the customer pick it out.
I'm not complaining about a reasonable mark up or profit but I don't like getting screwed over, or made to look stupid in front of a customer.

·
Hair Splitter
18,335 Posts
Probably not. It's unfortunate.
I have a third bathroom still to do for this customer.
The vanity was about 2200 dollars retail cost at the wholesaler. I helped the customer pick it out.
I'm not complaining about a reasonable mark up or profit but I don't like getting screwed over, or made to look stupid in front of a customer.
Amen!

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I make mistakes once in a while...its almost always against me...ive never made a $1700 mistake in my favor

ive made $1000 mistakes in the customers favor more than once

he admitted to a 2nd over billing that he didn't have to...he was honest about it

everyone makes mistakes

is there something he could have said or did after the fact that would have kept him as your plumber?
No if you lean on someone and then they admit to two "mistakes" in a row I'd say they are kind of a crook.

Reactions: Gary H
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.