Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I am working with a new contractor, she tells me how her company is top end they do top end work:thumbsup:
So I figure OK I'll give it a shot. Gives me address I go take a look exterior about 2,700 sqft house with attached 2.5 car garage. Well the westside of house has been drilled by Woodpeckers:rolleyes:
There's other rotten fascia boards and a couple of freeze boards, well the siding is OSB with laminated MDF wood grain. Well the holes are about the size of softballs in two pieces of siding, they are about 16' to 18' off the ground she wants me to cut out siding which is T&G with circular saw off extension ladder:laughing:
I told her the siding should be peeled down to repair and then put siding back up, that's if it can be saved :no: I would like to find a contractor who doesn't cut:rolleyes: corners
Well I meet her and point out what needs to be done, she tells me the job only pays $1,900 an that includes carpentry repairs I tell her there's $1,500 just in wood replacement. How do some of these people do it?

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Well I am working with a new contractor, she tells me how her company is top end they do top end work:thumbsup:
So I figure OK I'll give it a shot. Gives me address I go take a look exterior about 2,700 sqft house with attached 2.5 car garage. Well the westside of house has been drilled by Woodpeckers:rolleyes:
There's other rotten fascia boards and a couple of freeze boards, well the siding is OSB with laminated MDF wood grain. Well the holes are about the size of softballs in two pieces of siding, they are about 16' to 18' off the ground she wants me to cut out siding which is T&G with circular saw off extension ladder:laughing:
I told her the siding should be peeled down to repair and then put siding back up, that's if it can be saved :no: I would like to find a contractor who doesn't cut:rolleyes: corners
Well I meet her and point out what needs to be done, she tells me the job only pays $1,900 an that includes carpentry repairs I tell her there's $1,500 just in wood replacement. How do some of these people do it?
By living in a bubble with plugs in the ears and their hands covering their eyes. That's the only way I can see possible.

If that high end work. I'd really hate to see what she calls low end.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,114 Posts
Well the holes are about the size of softballs in two pieces of siding, they are about 16' to 18' off the ground she wants me to cut out siding which is T&G with circular saw off extension ladder:laughing:
Sometimes people will make a template, route out a patch, route the hole to match the patch, and so on. Half lapping makes it pretty secure.

·
Super Moderator
11,331 Posts
I feel for ya Frank. There's some real winner painting contractors around here too.:rolleyes:
I get at least one call a week saying something like "He worked for a total of ten hours and never came back".
or
"I hired a painter but now I can't get him to call me back".

Job security for me I guess... :laughing:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hey guys well I got the house painted. As for replacing the siding well yesterday her an I thought we were on same page found a supplier so I send the supplier a picture an measurements he tells me he can get it he has a match. So he tells me we have to order a bundle of six pieces 16'x 1' $155.69 out the door. I call her tell her she needs to pay for it he'll order it an should have it in a few days. She tells me I need to go look at it:eek: I tell her I sent him info she says I should make sure before its ordered. I'm being paid by the job which she told me was $1,900 I told her I'm not being paid by the hour, so I figure piss on it so I got my can of bondo out and I filled holes sanded it out then painted it, looks fine so I guess when your given crap you make a outhouse:laughing:
I'll try an post some pictures

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I was gonna suggest just filling it in the first place. I mean, my god, its not like painters never fill holes in wood. The only exception might be where the siding has a raised pattern of some sort, in which case it might be more challenging to replicate it.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
What kills me is you go over quality standards beforehand, they are fine with cutting corners. Then when job is done they are mad because they didn't get perfection.

So far female clientelle are the worst at this. I'm like, wtf biatch?!?! you said not to do that... it's right here in writing!

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
What kills me is you go over quality standards beforehand, they are fine with cutting corners. Then when job is done they are mad because they didn't get perfection.

So far female clientelle are the worst at this. I'm like, wtf biatch?!?! you said not to do that... it's right here in writing!
Everytime you open your mouth it reminds me how much painting sucks.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well I finished up the house home owners were very pleased. I was not cause as we walked around the house I noticed that the paint wasn't looking right. I didn't say anything, so I go look at paint buckets, cause I used 11 gallons two fives. Well someone changed the paint, I didn't order it I just picked it up an headed for the job, I started on the east side of the house then moved the the back of the house that was the first day, so went thru the first 5 next day stop pick up paint go to job paint the westside and then front of house don't notice anything so then I start doing windows 27 double hung an a large transit above front porch, well as I'm doing windows I see holidays in the siding where I rolled so I touch it up all same color SW Super Paint covers good, well the house sets in the sun most of the day just early morning it's in the shade, but on this final walk around, it looks like crap :no:
But they say it looks great:blink: I'm pissed that she would order Satin paint to start the job then order Flat to finish the job an being the east side an back of house were done in Satin an the westside an front were done in Flat didn't see it:rolleyes:
But now that I did touch ups on Satin side with Flat:censored:
But I have to remember this is High End painting:censored:

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Well I finished up the house home owners were very pleased. I was not cause as we walked around the house I noticed that the paint wasn't looking right. I didn't say anything, so I go look at paint buckets, cause I used 11 gallons two fives. Well someone changed the paint, I didn't order it I just picked it up an headed for the job, I started on the east side of the house then moved the the back of the house that was the first day, so went thru the first 5 next day stop pick up paint go to job paint the westside and then front of house don't notice anything so then I start doing windows 27 double hung an a large transit above front porch, well as I'm doing windows I see holidays in the siding where I rolled so I touch it up all same color SW Super Paint covers good, well the house sets in the sun most of the day just early morning it's in the shade, but on this final walk around, it looks like crap :no:
But they say it looks great:blink: I'm pissed that she would order Satin paint to start the job then order Flat to finish the job an being the east side an back of house were done in Satin an the westside an front were done in Flat didn't see it:rolleyes:
Always box your paint.

Never let the home owners provide materials.

Paint it again....

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
It's annoying when they don't highlight the finish type on the label and if they do they decide to redesign the label. They should always have different colors for highlighting the finish type.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Well I finished up the house home owners were very pleased. I was not cause as we walked around the house I noticed that the paint wasn't looking right. I didn't say anything, so I go look at paint buckets, cause I used 11 gallons two fives. Well someone changed the paint, I didn't order it I just picked it up an headed for the job,
I'm pissed that she would order Satin paint to start the job then order Flat to finish the job an being the east side an back of house were done in Satin an the westside an front were done in Flat didn't see it:rolleyes::
You should know better. Sorry. ''Try'' to always check what you are getting. Never assume. When will we ever learn.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went back to the house to install new glass in a double hung window. After I finished I told home owner what was going on with the paint on his house when I started the job she told me the house would use 20 gallons to paint:eek:
I told her No way maybe 12 gallons at the most. Well she tells me I am ordering one 5 to start so that's how it went from Satin to Flat.
First day I painted east side and back of house ran out of paint, call her tell her I need another 5 for next day she tells me it's ordered. So I pick it up not my job to check to see if paint is the same that's Her job. So she screws up order not my problem she screwed up. So I couldn't box paint:laughing: and as for me knowing better, yeah I know better but when a Contractor like her doesn't pay attention to something as easy as ordering paint and they screw it up. That's their Problem for being incompetent :whistling

·
Shingler extraordinaire
Sales Estimator/ Project Manager
9,893 Posts
Nope...their problem for screwing up the order, yours for not checking.

That's like me putting a sq of driftwood on a weatherwood roof, what do i say...i dunno, they sent it out. Yeah i noticed but i shouldn't have gotten them so its not my problem.

Your career as a sub will be short lived.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
As per my earlier post I would blame the paint manufacturer first if they use labels that don't distinguish the finish to differentiate easily. This can happen far too easily if you have several containers all sharing the same label.

Next to blame is the GC that's a rookie mistake.

And finally the painter.

There's also the very good chance the paint store messed up, wouldn't surprise me at all if it was SW.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts