Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Writer/Producer
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a general question for anyone who works with mobile cranes. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. (I also posted this in the Safety category - hope that's not a problem.)

I work for a company that produces safety training. We do a lot of customized training, but lately we've been focusing more on our generic safety course library.

My question is:

Do you think a Mobile Crane course that addresses the new OSHA construction crane regulations would be a beneficial product for a lot of people?

On one hand, people want to know about the new construction standards, so that’s a case for creating the Mobile Crane course. On the other hand, I know mobile crane operation is a very complicated thing, and most people are probably seeking hands-on training for it, and not relying on a video/quiz scenario.

I can also see how a general video that addresses the new regulations would be beneficial for introductory/refresher-type training.

Again, thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Which OSHA requirement are you speaking of? I'm also in WA, and am very acquanted with our WISHA laws. I am also aware of OSHA's requirement for "qualified riggers" in states where OSHA is applicable, and how that rule is actually weak.

Being in a captured state, I am not always aware of OSHA's latest requirements, I know that WISHA is much ahead of the curve in Crane Certification

·
Writer/Producer
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anti-wingnut, I was talking about the OSHA regulations that went into effect November 8th of this year. Apparently I can't post links yet, but if you search for 'OSHA 2010 crane regulations' you should find out about it. The major changes in the new regulations include:

• Federal requirements for the certification of crane operators
• Requirements for third-party crane operator certifiers
• Increased crane inspection requirements
• Requirements for working near electricity
• More rules for assembling/disassembling cranes
• New requirements for inspecting ground conditions prior to a lift
• Qualifications for riggers and signalpersons
• New requirements for using synthetic slings

I know Washington is far ahead of the curve on a lot of safety regulations, so it's possible the federal regulations won't affect WA too much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts