Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the old lady in the house next to me died 2 weeks ago. She left her house to her only grandson. Free house been paid off for years. So they move in monday and tuesday last week. Well today I was taking the garbage out he introduces himself. Yada Yada Yada He is from Houston TX and is a "trim guy/carpenter" His words. He say I noticed your truck says you are a GC yeah it's going well Yada Yada Yada then he says if you need some help LMK
"I ONLY work under the table for cash." :eek::censored: I stood there dumb founded for a few seconds........ Simply told him sorry I am a REAL contractor that is licensed and insured. I do not operate an illegal business. Then just turned and walked in my house.
It really make me mad that I am living next to a person like this.

Cole

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
How can he work above the table, when chances are he settled a huge lawsuit and is collecting disability?:mad: Either that, or he's in arrears on his child support.:furious::censored: Get your tools on lockdown, they may start to slowly disappear.:censored:

Reactions: stp57

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Be as cordial as possible, he is your new neighbor, if we let everyone who operates like a hack get under our skin, we will have long hard days. It is uncomfortable having a neighbor that annoyes you and seeing him everyday, for your own good, dont let him get to you, GMOD

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'd tell him there no way a unlicensed contractor can make a decent living there, you would help him if you could, but without a license and wanting cash the possibilities of you being able to refer him is nil. Then you should start convincing him that if he sold the house and took the money back to Houston, where there is plenty of work, he would have a nice little nest egg and could continue doing business the way he is accustomed or even take that nest egg, go back to Houston and start a legitimate business.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts
Be as cordial as possible, he is your new neighbor, if we let everyone who operates like a hack get under our skin, we will have long hard days. It is uncomfortable having a neighbor that annoyes you and seeing him everyday, for your own good, dont let him get to you, GMOD

Couldn't agree more. 10-20 years of having a bad neighbor can be very miserable & potentially costly.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
How can he work above the table, when chances are he settled a huge lawsuit and is collecting disability?:mad: Either that, or he's in arrears on his child support.:furious::censored: Get your tools on lockdown, they may start to slowly disappear.:censored:

That would be my first impression.
Hiding out,free house,your best friend when he needs something.

Seen this type before,and chances are he works by the hour and will milk you dry.

I wouldn't ask him over for a barbeque,but would be cordial to keep the peace.

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How can he move in one week? let alone make that decision? He has a wife and two kids in the house. I think it's a wife could just be a GF.
There is no way in hell I could get all my ducks in a row to move in a week. Makes me wonder. Damn it now I have to instal that security camera I bought last year but never put up.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Well the old lady in the house next to me died 2 weeks ago. She left her house to her only grandson. Free house been paid off for years. So they move in monday and tuesday last week. Well today I was taking the garbage out he introduces himself. Yada Yada Yada He is from Houston TX and is a "trim guy/carpenter" His words. He say I noticed your truck says you are a GC yeah it's going well Yada Yada Yada then he says if you need some help LMK
"I ONLY work under the table for cash." :eek::censored: I stood there dumb founded for a few seconds........ Simply told him sorry I am a REAL contractor that is licensed and insured. I do not operate an illegal business. Then just turned and walked in my house.
It really make me mad that I am living next to a person like this.

Cole
I hope she died a natural death!
One week to move in!
Get your guns cleaned!:laughing:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Consider yourself lucky.
My super informed me yesterday that my new neighbor has a penchant for prostitutes.
Should be interesting with the thin walls and all.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
How can he move in one week? let alone make that decision? He has a wife and two kids in the house. I think it's a wife could just be a GF.
There is no way in hell I could get all my ducks in a row to move in a week. Makes me wonder. Damn it now I have to instal that security camera I bought last year but never put up.
Testament to what kind of guy he is. He may have fled his responsibilities many times before. Call it profiling, but this is the kind of guy who will con a bunch of folks into giving him a deposit on a job, then disappear with all the money. Now that he has a home of his own, he may have to rethink his strategy. Maybe he will borrow the equity out of the house and disappear.:whistling

·
Banned
204 Posts
Well this is how I see it NOW IS YOUR CHANCE TO HELP make a legit "contractor" out of him. Found out his story and ask why he works that way and point him in the right direction. We as a industry have a duty to the industry to help improve what the "community" see us as and if the"legit" contractors can teach the other guys something then I think we need to, but what do I know

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,609 Posts
I see many reported illegal job sites in your future. Everytime he starts up a new job just report his illegal activity.

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:censored::furious:
SOOO! my neighbor across the street from me is a plumber. Tuesdy night someone broke into his place and stole a snow blower and job box.

I'm not pointing fingures but I told the cop to TALK to my new nieghbor. You know to see if he saw anything.

Cole

·
Contractor
7,667 Posts
:censored::furious:
SOOO! my neighbor across the street from me is a plumber. Tuesdy night someone broke into his place and stole a snow blower and job box.

I'm not pointing fingures but I told the cop to TALK to my new nieghbor. You know to see if he saw anything.

Cole
Have you completed this old project yet?

Damn it now I have to instal that security camera I bought last year but never put up.
I'd be putting up a couple more if it were me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts