Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I recently switched to a new job from remodel projects to big custom homes 5500-15,000sq ft and will be working on a framing crew so I'm treating myself to some new tools I got a Vaughan stealth hammer because I have been dieing to try a high velocity and a V-line clamp anyone provide any insight on these? Also I'm looking for a new tool belt for 100$ or less like to be around 60$ any recomendations? I'm not new to the trade but usually don't operate out of a tool belt too often I currently have a Dead On and its kind of a POS. Thanks

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
I'm pretty sure he's talkin' Oxy's.

They do kick a$$.

But, you're just starting. I understand. You don't have the funds, which is fine, because you need to suffer a little anyway. It's the way of the world.....builds character, and more importantly, gives you a bit of experience to know exactly how YOU want to set up your rig.

Go buy a decent set.....leather....suspenders....a couple big side bags (brand is mostly inconsequential) .......and get to figuring it out.

Your speed square will fall out a lot (avoid innocent bystanders at all times).

You will have to put your nail gun down to grab another clip (bush league).

You will constantly be digging for that nail set you knew you had somewhere (it's there....under the trail mix of nails at the bottom of your wide mouth pocket....keep diggin).

You will never have quite the right spot for that chalk box (but really...you'll be operating the "dumb" end for a while anyway.....just aim for the middle of the crows foot and be quick and concise with your response when asked "you good?").

Then........go get yourself some Oxy's.

·
Registered
12,843 Posts
There are some decent bags for under a hundred. Kind of like a Chevy Lumina compared to a Corvette. You'll still get the job done, but it won't be as comfortable or efficient.

I have a set of CTA bags that are decent enough. Recently went to Oxy's and they are night and day different. Still have the CTA's for concrete, nasty weather, crawling under a house or attic, etc.

After thinking about it, the place where my Oxy's don't work is when I need to run a pair of Malco snips all day. The CTA's have a nice big square pocket on both sides which will hold the snips. Not sure what I'll do on the next vinyl job.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I use a kuny 8 pouch bag with suspenders. Cost about $80.00+ about $20.00 I think for the suspenders. My next bag will be an oxy, they are expensive but I'm in the midst of trying to look a bit more of a "professional" appearance while I work. I've heard oxys are really comfortable.

Since you're framing I recommend getting suspenders to carry then weight on your shoulders. There will be times where you'll be carrying a probably an extra 5-10 lbs on top of what your tools weigh in hand spikes and gun nails/staples.

The tricky part is finding a bag that carries enough tools and be able to make your way through trusses when doing t-bracing. I've only been able to do that with ease is with my first tool belt which was a kuny's 5 pouch bag.

Good luck, custom houses are fun to frame

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok so there's nothing under 100$ worth a hoot so when you say oxy is everyone reffering to Occidental? I'm assuming?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok so I finally decided that I think I'm going to buy an Occidental I figure mechanics and such spend way more on toolboxes whats a 200$ belt hurt now which one do you guys recommend I want something efficient and not bulky

·
GC/carpenter
43,907 Posts
wolfie729 said:
Ok so I finally decided that I think I'm going to buy an Occidental I figure mechanics and such spend way more on toolboxes whats a 200$ belt hurt now which one do you guys recommend I want something efficient and not bulky
Oxy light pro framers are what Ive used for many years. Bag Fashion accessory Leather Handbag Material property

·
Registered
162 Posts
Took this shot for another thread on here, but I'll use it here too.

I have the Oxy Adjust To Fit FatLip bags with the Stronghold Suspension Suspenders.

I don't know what you consider 'bulky' but this set is on the larger side. I haven't found that they limit my mobility that much when framing. There are a few times I've snagged them and been brought to a screeching halt, but definitely not enough to make me wish I had my old set :thumbsup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok so I tried one on today at a local dealer they didnt have one i liked so im going to order one but since i have no backside i will probably get suspendors how are theirs?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ok so I tried one on today at a local dealer they didnt have one i liked so im going to order one but since i have no backside i will probably get suspendors how are theirs?
Same as the bags, worth every penny. :thumbup:

Let me warn you now though, they'll be your shoulders enemy the first few days. You have to break them in for a few days before you can pin the shoulder pad to the straps. The pad on mine kept riding down my back so I would have to hike it up again 20x a day. 3 full days of that was all I could handle. 4th day they got pinned and it's been awesome ever since.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts