Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am no no stranger to painting but will admit that I am a jack and not a master.
In the years of experience, I have always installed trim, caulked, filled nail holes and then painted.
Though at times I think it would be easier to paint first then install, I haven't had the guts in fear that with gloss paint of any kind would cause caulk to seperate over time once it is installed. I have seen this done before but, not sure if I agree with this method.
Q: Are there any methods/products out there that would allow for long term quality of caulk adhesion to trim that is painted before installation or is the way I've been doing it corresct?
Thanks for any suggestion,
Pat

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Generally the proper method is to prime first then caulk, putty and fill.

The primer fills the surface or open grain that would otherwise draw in the moisture of the caulk / filler product causing it to crack or separate or look like it was less than what was originally applied..

For caulking use a high quality siliconized acrylic like DAP Alex 35. For nail holes use Crawfords Putty or second choice DAP Painter's Putty. If the job is not too big I like to use Durham's Rock Hard Wood Putty in nail / staple holes.

I don't think you'll have any problem using gloss paint like you have described but most of us here use primer because it dries much faster than finish paint and we can then continue with a quality process.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with your response on high end material. I should have specified the use of primed MDF.
Other than priming MDF, are your thoughts the same?
Thanks, P

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes...... but, obviously after installation, filling nail holes and caulk,
follow up with touch up or even, one more full coat of paint.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Yes...... but, obviously after installation, filling nail holes and caulk,
follow up with touch up or even, one more full coat of paint.
It's nice of you to drop in but I think we've gone as far as we can go on this one.....

Your prospective is not consistent with building your skills or engaging in professional trade practices. This site is for professional contractors who do.

You may wish to try the DIY site that is connected with this forum. Good luck and all the best on your projects.

http://www.diychatroom.com/

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractor's to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If your not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.