Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
FL CGC
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all! I'm a CGC in central Florida. Mostly I've worked in commercial general contracting, although I did a short stint in the drywall business. I've been out of construction a few years due to personal circumstances, but I am actively looking to re-enter the field. I don't know if I will start my own contracting business again or not. I was offered a job last year as a superintendent with a large outfit. I ultimately turned it down, and I don't regret that decision as it was the right thing to do at that moment. However, it may very well be that is the sort of route I end up taking back into the industry. I don't think I want to be a PM, and I'm really not all that sure I feel like running the company. I miss the field and right now I'm really considering getting back into the industry in some "boots and hardhat" capacity.

Anyway, I'm sure I'm heading back into construction, but on my own terms since I'm not under any specific deadline to have to make a decision.

This seemed like a good place to talk business and soak up ideas. Maybe you all will end up helping me make up my mind.

·
Eater of sins.
4,405 Posts
Good to have you here.

I have been doing CAD and Drafting for residential and some light commercial for the past 12 years and I am back to doing the actual work for the past year.
I didn't realize how much I missed doing the work, especially finish carpentry. But I am doing a little electrical and tile also as well as doing construction docs, drafting and design.
It has made my life better.

Andy.

·
Registered
FL CGC
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good to have you here.

I have been doing CAD and Drafting for residential and some light commercial for the past 12 years and I am back to doing the actual work for the past year.
I didn't realize how much I missed doing the work, especially finish carpentry. But I am doing a little electrical and tile also as well as doing construction docs, drafting and design.
It has made my life better.

Andy.
I've really always been a "maker" and "builder". Even now I still occupy myself by keeping my hands busy in my downtime. I do miss the actual hands-on work of construction, but I don't think my body can take that anymore. I still keep active and try to stay healthy, but I've had quite a few joint surgeries over the years. My days as a rod buster, form carpenter, carpenter, and jockeying a concrete pump are long past.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts