Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past 6 months my business has been busy with my partner and I. But, we are only busy as our social network and families keep us. I am concerned that only doing work for friends/family/associates will inhibit us from expanding.

What are some of the techniques you've used to expand beyond your comfort zone to truely become a business, rather than just a general contractor?

I bring this question up because I am placing a bid on a siding job next week, its for a very close family friend, but our business model (and my expansion ideas) are moving towards hiring sub-contractors for more of my jobs. I would like, many around here, to have multiple projects per day, where I'm negotiating between managing projects, rather than putting in 60+ hours of manual labor.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
Simple Answer, Get your co. name out there.

I will give you credit for doing work for family friends and family, cause I wont touch it.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Job site signs are great for building a neighborhood presence. Also signs on your vehicles are a must.

What cole said, I agree with. Usually I hook my family/friends up direct with my sub contractors then tell my subcontractors to give them my rates. When we did my father's roof, it was the most stressful job I ever did, and nothing went wrong... but if it did!!!! Oh boy, that woulda been bad!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting advice. I've found that I've had to do more work, for less pay, when dealing with F/F. But, I've also become much more meticulous in my work because I basically work where I "live". So everytime I do a job, I know I most likely will end up seeing the rewards of that work.

But, then again, expansion is necessary in my development plans.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Networking, networking, networking!
Local builders assocn. 18 yrs. County chamber, 14 yrs. Jesus House of Hope, 10 yrs. Womens Club, 6 yrs. Quite a few others off and on. All introduce you to the movers and shakers of the community. You have to take the initiative to meet people when exposed to them. I know most anybody who is somebody in 3 counties just by getting into their face repetitively.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts