Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Punching above his weight
9,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dudes. A couple years ago I bought a house with gas fired steam. I love it. I'm finally the proud owner of the steam system of my dreams.

Couple things I don't know though.

1. Can you put a steam pipe inside a wall? How about an exterior wall? I assume when most steam systems were installed they were retrofit into older homes and it was simply a practicality question. Easier to drill through a floor than it is to cut open a whole wall and stuff pipe in it.
I'm doing a couple things to the house though and have the magic combination of open walls and the desire to move an existing radiator to the other side of the room. Can I stuff that pipe inside the wall or is that asking for trouble in a way that I'm not anticipating?

2. How crucial is pipe insulation and what's the best modern insulation that's out there? What do you guys use? Asbestos had to go. Pipes are temporarily bare. Gotta wrap them for system efficiency, yes?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,074 Posts
Yes they can go through wall, most of the time they do not so the heat can be used for the room they are passing through

Fiberglass pipe insulation with paper covering with strings embedded in the outer coating, the seams can be taped or some have a flap on the insulation that gets glued to the other side like an envelope. Pre made corners and tee which usually are plastic covered. Its not cheap, many times you have to buy a full box.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,205 Posts
rrk pretty well covered it.

Knowing you, I thought you were posting about the gaming platform. :LOL:

·
Registered
7,074 Posts
in the 70s at the tail end of asbestos use and the beginning of fiberglass, they would slip the insulation over the pipe and a guy wearing 2 lambs wool mittens would slather a plaster like slurry over a cloth fiber tape covering the insulation. They would mold the corners and tees like using paper mache, a laborer would keep bring them buckets of slurry all day long. At the end of the day they were covered in partially dried plaster.

·
Registered
Remodel
26,540 Posts
Don't run a steam pipe in an exterior wall. It's a bad idea, heat loss goes up.

If you run one in an interior wall, consider just insulating the cavity.

·
9,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hadn't even considered the loss of heat from the pipe itself. Good deal.

Fiberglass wrap is still the bees' knees, eh? Alright. Steady as she goes, then. I'll look into the knuckles, but they're probably going to stay exposed if it's too expensive.
I've got a couple knuckles that still have the goop on them. It's still in perfect shape. Might slather some paint on it. Leave well enough alone.

BJ, if you've never had Anchor Steam give it a shot! They've got a fantastic Holiday Ale that should be coming out right around now. Treat yourself! You deserve better than Schlitz for Christmas!

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
BJ, if you've never had Anchor Steam give it a shot! They've got a fantastic Holiday Ale that should be coming out right around now. Treat yourself! You deserve better than Schlitz for Christmas!
l had the original, it was so bad I never tried anything else from them.

·
9,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So the million dollar question.....how often are you flushing sediment
Weekly.

With the leak I've currently got in this return pipe though, it flushes itself. Crystal clear. Lol.
Gotta get around to fixing that, but a fernco and a 5 gal bucket are doing the job for the moment until I've got pipe fixing money in the budget again.

·
Registered
11,313 Posts
You know if you have very hard water introducing new water to frequently creates just as much of a problem with sediment.

It's the best heat but no one likes the marriage to the boiler.

·
Registered
11,313 Posts
Forced air can have a humidifier or dehumidifier or nothing.
Warm air is dry on your sinuses without moisture.

·
Registered
7,074 Posts
Thats why many people put a pot of water on the radiators

Steam systems are a maintenance headache

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
I love hot water/steam heat. They last forever. Only real issue I ever had was the igniter control box failed. Prat was obsolete, had to up date it.

Install radiator covers, they have water pans, no pot needed.

Tom

·
Registered
11,313 Posts
Like Tom said they last forever. The more simple the system the fewer things to go wrong.
Like those old cars everyone used to be able to work on.

·
9,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've had virtually nothing go wrong with my steam system in 3 years.
I have a programmable thermostat and an auto feed. Life is good.

The radiators also add a real nice sense of ambiance. Christmas just wouldn't be the same without steam.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts