Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to install a 2 1/2 ton A/C unit. I want to go with a split system. Natural gas and air conditioning. 14 SEER. I live in a 800 sqf house with a very small attic. Indoor unit which is the furnance, A/C coil and the plenun total measurement is 84 inchs in vertical position. I only have 64 inchs, and I do not have any clotet available so I can install a horizotal unit. Moreover: the city that I live in; It does not let me to install a package unit on the roof. I though about a Heat pump, but I am concernig gas vrs electric consuming.
Does someone out there has a better idea or what to do with a very small attic which it is in this case?

thank you quys for your time and help.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Easy solution is just move to another city LOL just kidding!! How about using a ductless minisplit system like Mr. Slim that will allow you to add multiple evaporator units on to it? What about using a "shorty" furnace? There are a couple of brands that make them (Rheem comes to mind and Coleman DID make one). If you want to compare your gas usage and costs vs. electric, go here: http://www.thermopride.com/pdfs/fuelcostcomparison.pdf and just plug in your numbers for your area and see what you come up with and what is affordable. Check and see if your utility gives any rebates for a total electric heat pump system as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am planning to install a 2 1/2 ton A/C unit. I want to go with a split system. Natural gas and air conditioning. 14 SEER. I live in a 800 sqf house with a very small attic. Indoor unit which is the furnance, A/C coil and the plenun total measurement is 84 inchs in vertical position. I only have 64 inchs, and I do not have any clotet available so I can install a horizotal unit. Moreover: the city that I live in; It does not let me to install a package unit on the roof. I though about a Heat pump, but I am concernig gas vrs electric consuming.
Does someone out there has a better idea or what to do with a very small attic which it is in this case?

thank you quys for your time and help.
There are many other options, First, where do you live? In my area 2 1/2 ton a/c is far to big for only 800 sq ft. Well setting proper sizing aside, reem is a great solution for the furnace, but already you lost 36". with right horizontle coil an properly size plenums you'll still have a system to big. The mini split systems is a great solution, but only for the cooling. Try Unico with a hydronic coil. You can take advantage of ng by using a boiler and circ pump for heat. I've done this type of system before and hade great succes. After fitting your air handler together usind the fan mod./ cooling mod./ heating mod./ return mod. and unico SMALL duct system you'll be right where you need to be. good luck.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Where do you live? If you are in a northern state, that 2.5 ton unit is going to be too big. If in the south, you may want to consider a Rheem/Ruud heat pump. They have a 35" tall air handler that will work with a heat pump and the evap coil is integrated into the cabinet...35" TOTAL height.

I suggest you get a manual J heat load calculation done regardless of where you live, bigger is NEVER better as far as A/C sizing is concerned.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts