Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got another truck and am going to set on a full time employee, going to have ADP do the payroll and waiting on works comp to come through. Just was wondering what you guys use as a new hire form. I think there are some questions that should be asked and some that are not allowed.

·
Super Moderator
10,673 Posts
I do not use a job application. I do phone interviews and base my decision off of that. My payroll place can do a background check it I ask for one. If you ask simple questions, and give them time to respond, they will give you all of the answers you need.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I now what to look for and what questions to ask in person. What I was asking is I will need to keep a paper employee file and what should be on it. ie Name, Address SS#, age(not sure if thats allowed) I guess married or not for deductions, Can I ask if they have any injuries. Don't want them working for a week then claiming workers comp for existing things.

·
Lemonade Salesman
405 Posts
Most all the information you want will be on his W4. In my book you can ask him whatever you want during the interview process and write it down. I'm not an equal opportunity employer. I'm extremely picky and I'll ask the questions necessary to ensure that we hire the right person for the position.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
Once you've picked the person you want to hire, have him/her fill out a standard employment app (google it - plenty of PDF's to download) and a W-4 (tax deductions). The employment app should contain all the pertinent info, such as name, address, phone #, SS#, emergency contact info, etc. It's been awhile since I've had any W-2 employees, but I think the info is still the same.

Another thing to consider is making sure your insurances are up to par having an employee now. I know my GL is different with me being a one man show now.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Guys. I am almost ready with everything in place. Correct me if I am wrong but if I have a full time employee he must be a W2. I understand that some will 1099 I guess to avoid workers comp, or have the employee have his own insurance.
Just trying to do it right but didn't want to miss if I should be going the 1099 route

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
The 1099 deal is getting more restrictive nowadays, according to my tax guy. I have a laborer I use 30-40 hours a month and he gets a 1099. If he was working 40 hours a week I would have to make him a W-2 employee. It's still a grey area, but the Internal Rectum Service is supposedly cracking down on full-time hourly 'employees' getting a 1099.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts