Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I have been running a residential repaint company for about 4 1/2 yrs. He worked at it part time on and off for many years before that. It's been an experience and I have learned a lot about marketing, hiring and firing people, keeping books, etc--not to mention that I have gotten to be a fairly good painter myself. We currently have 1 full time employee and others who help out on an as needed basis. We had 2 other full time employees, but we had to let them go when work went down. Illegals are really pulling down business in our area. I am wanting eventually to get out and into my own business--not paint related, but at least for the time being, painting is putting the food on our table. My husband plans to stay in the business. He says he enjoys it, but to hear him at the end of the day, you wouldn't believe it!

Moonlyric

·
Registered
92 Posts
Welcome to the board. My wife's ear is swollen from my complaints about all of the illeagals. I see one company full of illeagal workers painting the jobs that I bid on all of the time. I asked the owner of the company if he had all of the proper insurance and if he pays all taxes and worker's comp. He smiled and said, "who can afford all of that?"
I am all for everyone making money, but there has to be some sort of control over this matter- taking the carpet right out from under my feet and there is nothing that I can do about it. Homeowners think that the contractor does not need insurance because they have Homeowner's insurance. I have to laugh at that- lets see them put a claim in for Juan falling off a 20 ladder, breaking his back and the dining room table to boot- the insurance co might cover the dining room table, but they will be paying for the broken back for a long time.
I am frustrated as well

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I notice that this thread mentions much about illegals.
Are you certain that these people are, in fact, illegals?
Many people have legally immigrated to the US, perhaps as your forebears did, to pursue the American dream.
Many of them are willing to work long, hard hours and live under minimal conditions to acheive their dream, as your forebears did.
I see these newly liberated people as the New Americans (Americanos nuevos) even if their ancestors were here 10,000 yrs. or more before yours.
You have to have respect for someone who would leave their homeland, family, customs and language to make a better life for themselves and generations to follow. Just as your forebears did.

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Teetorbuilt,
Well said. I also have respect for someone that leaves their country to find a better way of life. I work with a guy that left Pakastan to come here (pre 9-11) and he is a decient worker and I can feel for him. I can't imagine doing that. I am born and raised in the US and have traveled to a few other countries. It would be very hard to make a move like that. Now I'm sure there are some that come hear for welfare but I doubt it is the majority.
We all have the right to feel the way we feel and express ourselves the way we want. So it's not that I disagree with the statements just voicing a differant opinion.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Paul, many of these people adapt quickly to business as it is their lifestyle to simply survive in the places that they come from. Is not business simply 'I'll give you what you want for what I want?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts