Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Greg
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a Soda blasting shop and I strip a lot of cars, can I get your thoughts on what the best media is as I really don't think soda is that great.
I have been in talks with a guy from Canada about a system he calls Gem blasting, any thoughts?

Thanks in advance
Greg

·
Greg
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies, I can't find Starblast for sale here in Australia, but I will keep looking.

I own a Schmitt 3.5 PMB pot, so I can put any type of media through it.

Greg

·
Greg
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Glen, we use soda at the moment and touch up area's with rust that have plenty of shape, with Garnet. I am looking not to have to change media part way through the job, and I hate the dust from soda, I have a pretty good blast booth and dust extraction and it is still an issue.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
It's just how you look at it Greg. Any do it your selfer can use one media. I think it's what makes us professionals having choices and deciding which to use. That's why your customers come back to you I'm sure. Customers needs are alll different. Some want the quick cheap blast and some want restoration. If they don't want to remove glass and chrome you have your soda for those areas and then you may switch to a fine abrasive for rust and bondo removal. You can always use a heaver grit inside compartments on the floors and structural. I have people who are afraid of soda for cleaning isues who ask for walnut. They all make a lot of dust, what can you do? Good light a nova or similar hood.

I looked at that Gemblasting. They talk a lot but show little. They don't have any vid of them actually blasting. It's all after. It looks nice but the same as my work with fine crushed glass. Their "Gemblasting demo vidio" is a CARTOON. They show how a body shop filled holes with bondo and said it was the wrong way to do it but won't show you how they do it or even an after pic of one they did. I wasn't impressed with their site at all. They even compare walnut shell to a jar of peanut butter and say look at all the oil in the jar. Let's see, first of all that isn't from the shell it's the nut which isn't really even a nut anyway and it isn't walnuts its peanuts, they are wacked.

·
Greg
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Glen, I thought I would put up a pick of our blast room, we have been blasting in it for about 2 years, I noticed the boat in your avatar, that is the main part of our business, we have just change from soda on boats to a new system we purchased called Torbo wet blasting, basically a slurry blaster that is 95% dustless.

Greg

Electrical wiring Plaster Electrical supply Gas

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
Boat Bottom Paint

Greg,
Over here in Maine, the State does not want the contaminated water to runoff into the waters or streams. The paint is considered a pesticide. Even though they suggest using a system like dry soda, the boat still has to be tented on the ground and sides, sealing the bottom paint material inside. Afterward, it is suppose to be tested to see if it is contaminated. If it is, then it has to be brought to a registered disposal site by a licensed class B driver with a hazmat endorsement. (Plus all paper work with it to)

I wonder why no one wants to pay to have it done.
Ya, it is dusty in the tent!

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Greg I 'm jealous of that rotisserie. Very nice set up. I need to look in to those. Is it very universal, fits most autos? Looks like it may take two people to set up?

Iv'e just been blasting boats for a while. Still need to get better known for it. I just heard that in New Jersey which is one state over that they may not be able to blast there at all soon. I might get run off from that.

Jim I got that valve thing worked out. You'll see it on my new thread. I hope it doesn't piss Wes off like my blast light. Just kidding with you Wes. I live for the back and forth on here.

·
Greg
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Greg I 'm jealous of that rotisserie. Very nice set up. I need to look in to those. Is it very universal, fits most autos? Looks like it may take two people to set up?

Just about every make and model of car require different brackets, you really want them to supply the car on their rotisserie, as they will still need it to paint after you have finished.

What size nozzle and pressure do you blast with glass, I have 400cfm compressor?

Greg

·
2,018 Posts
Greg,
Glass is a big part of my business use it much more than soda now!
on auto's I run a 185 cfm @80 to 90psi with a #6 or #7 nozzle. medium grade glass. I do have a #8 that runs on my compressor at around low 70 psi.

(400cfm your all set on that end.)

Rusty dumptruck beds, Use course glass for heavy rust, it will rip it off.

Walnut shell leaves same profile as soda on cars.

I use glass 95% on cars unless owner request something different.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Jim I have been wanting to try some larger nozzles. I just have the 185 too and i wasn't sure if I could get much out of a 6 or 7.

They say 254 cfm @ 100 psi for the #7 short ven. You think if I keep around 70 or m80 psi it will still work ok and give me a much wider hot spot? They are only $73. from constructionequipment and supply.

Wi that 400 cfm you have Greg you can use a #8 all the time. You don't want to blast over 90 to 100 psi with glass it's not as hard as garnet. I go as low as 35 psi for delicate work and a fine grade. Just for light surface rust on sheet metal, and if they are willing to pay a little more for the time.

·
2,018 Posts
Glen I use#4 for small spot blasting or fine line blast.
I use a 1” ID hose.
Some older cars I use the 6 or 7, I like the lower PSI for the cars anyway and you get a bigger pattern.
With the #4 my compressor barley kicks up, with the # 7 runs on full tilt. And keeps around 70-80 psi.
# 8 around 60-70 psi.
The charts are right!
I find the glass cleans well between 60-80 psi.
Warping is still a concern at more psi.

I had a 37 ford truck body in; the roof was bare at some time and was surface rust, pitted. The only way to remove it was to go over and over.
There was some warpage to start with from grinding years ago. I don't think I hurt it and more than what was done already. The guy new it and was pleased with it after.
I used#7 at 60 psi and tried to move around cutting dwell time in spots, plus shot at 45 angles on roof. Other parts that had ridges were fine.

On big equipment, (dump trucks) where warping is not a concern, I am going to hook both my 185's together for more psi with the #8. This will speed up the time on blasting.
Plus the course grit works good on the scaled rust.

Pauls right on the Equipment... Big compressor, big pot, big hose, BIG JOB... less time more money!

·
any media master blaster
166 Posts
No blasting in Jersey?

Who has any info on no blasting in NJ?Anyone interested in going after stimulus money in Pa Weatherizing homes average job $6500 near your capital.
It would require 2 man crew that needs education and able to pass criminal background check and some $$ to invest in startup contact me for details.
973 885 8036-- WeS the ballbuster.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Wes, It may only apply to boat bottoms. I have a boat place here I do bottoms for and they also have a place in Jersey. He said somthing about a change there. I will ask him when I can but it might have been about useing a pressure washing sysytem and having to recycle and filter the water. I'll check in when I have facts.

·
Greg
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Greg,
Glass is a big part of my business use it much more than soda now!
on auto's I run a 185 cfm @80 to 90psi with a #6 or #7 nozzle. medium grade glass. I do have a #8 that runs on my compressor at around low 70 psi.

(400cfm your all set on that end.)

Rusty dumptruck beds, Use course glass for heavy rust, it will rip it off.

Walnut shell leaves same profile as soda on cars.

I use glass 95% on cars unless owner request something different.
Jim,
I have some glass arriving tomorrow, what kind of profile does the glass leave?

Greg

·
2,018 Posts
Most of the Car body guys like the med or fine.

The new age MED leave's a good tooth for the paint, it cuts down on the re-sanding for the guys after a prime.

Some guys like the fine as there is hardly any prep after blasting.
But leaves anough for paint to grab.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts