Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess it is a requirement here, before a person can ask advice, that a Resume be posted.

I have over 15 years in the Construction Industry, beginning on an $18Million Middle School in Maryland as a Project Manager and working my way through to a Custom Home Builder, as a Project Manager. Travelling from Maryland to Florida to restore Historical homes in Ocala and build custom new ones until the bubble burst.

I admit, most of my skills are learned in the field but I am certainly not a DIY HomeBuilder. I took out my tools and worked along side many of the "professionals" on homes all over Maryland's Eastern Shore, with values of $400K up to $4.2 Million. Not knowing how to repair a door that was A) Probably not installed properly and B) sagging in the center because the structural integrity of the home itself is in question is certainly not cause for all these "professionals" to argue over who gets to demean my abilities.

It is a shame that this is called a forum for "professionals" yet the bickering over who gets to make the best jab at an innocent post leaves no question for me that I have come to the wrong place for "professional advice".

Oh, and to correct another misconception and add fuel to the bickering...I am a female...I owned and operated (yes, actually did the work myself) a Tree Removal Service for over five years, while also working full time in construction. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that the person who barks the loudest is the one who knows the least.

I have hung plenty of doors in my time. Didn't hang this one and am trying to help out the Homeowner by holding things together until they can occupy this place. I have never seen a header sag like this, nor have I seen the operating side of a French door dip in the middle the way this one does. The top does not meet the header, nor does the top edge of the operating door meet the stationary one. The bottom of the operating door not only rubs but is degrading because it is sticking so severely on the bottom, inside corner.

I know it should be replaced but, it was everything I could do to get them to replace the damaged thermo pane windows, before the walls around those came completely apart. I admit this is not an ideal situation for any contractor to be in but I was hoping someone could present a solution that may help these people out for a spell. Sorry it wasn't a "perfect scenario" with a repair available from one of the books you guys might have read.

How arrogant of all of you to be so small-minded that you wouldn't admit you just didn't have an answer and leave it at that!:jester:

·
Registered
39 Posts
required reading for newbies

Greetings Treeboss... Speaking of books...
May I recommend this one for your reading enjoyment:

How to Win Friends and Influence People

Dale Carnegie

Table of Contents

Fundamental Techniques in Handling People
Six Ways to Make People Like You
How to Win People to Your Way of Thinking
Be a Leader: How to Change People Without Giving Offense or Arousing Resentment​

http://www.westegg.com/unmaintained/carnegie/win-friends.html

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
It is a shame that this is called a forum for "professionals" yet the bickering over who gets to make the best jab at an innocent post leaves no question for me that I have come to the wrong place for "professional advice".
You're entirely correct, you did come to the wrong place for "professional advice." That's not the main reason for this forum's existence. It's actually a place for contractors to meet and interact w/ each other.

Your interaction so far has consisted of :
-joining and asking a question, requesting free advice, on your FIRST post.
-getting offended when established professional members don't fall all over themselves in an attempt to answer your question (for free) with facts, figures and other pertinent structural data
- starting a new thread introducing yourself w/ a LARGE GIANT chip on your shoulder.

ya see it from this side yet?

Mac

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I guess it is a requirement here, before a person can ask advice, that a Resume be posted.

I have over 15 years in the Construction Industry, beginning on an $18Million Middle School in Maryland as a Project Manager and working my way through to a Custom Home Builder, as a Project Manager.
I admit, most of my skills are learned in the field but I am certainly not a DIY HomeBuilder. I took out my tools and worked along side many of the "professionals" on homes all over Maryland's Eastern Shore, with values of $400K up to $4.2 Million.

OMG, is this some kind of a joke????

1 - 5 of 5 Posts