Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Inner10 said:
How are they easier to wire and plumb?
First one you learn, second one will equal out time wise, typical 3000 sq ft house is an extra 1/2 role of wire.

Plumbing is almost a non issue, only thing on outside wall is usually kitchen sink vent, sometimes washer/laundry tub vent...in Canada

·
Registered
683 Posts
knucklehead said:
So when I look in that window , do I see the joist?
I have done that for a builder. When we did it it's to eliminate the need for a window well on lots that are really close together. I do think they need to come up with a better system though it gets pretty bouncy there. And all they wanted was one 2x4 going across the center to carry the sheet. It's normally a 6'x3' span I doubled up 2x6 and put in hangers in the middle.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Sounds like the ceiling gets rocked like usual but then wrapped around the joist nearest to the window rather than running straight across to the wall with it.
Yes, and the windows have a 1/2" receiving jamb for the dry wall to go into. Ill try and take a picture of a finished one some time soon.

We got a couple of hours of framing in today, but then got called out to do footings and the next job.

Balloon framed back wall with a 16' X 8' patio door, going to look real sharp!

Attachments

·
Registered
683 Posts
MultiCon said:
Yes, and the windows have a 1/2" receiving jamb for the dry wall to go into. Ill try and take a picture of a finished one some time soon.]
I've never seen this detail finished but I can't see it not looking weird. It almost seems like an inverted bulk head. Like I mentioned before when I have done this it is to eliminate the window well. I see that you have a window well there. What's your reason for doing it this way?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Here is what the window looks like finished. And we needed a window well because we have to have at most 8" foundation showing, and the window couldn't go any higher.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
I didn't take any pictures of it but we glue the sheets of foam to the wall. A nice thick bead around the perimeter of the wall, around the windows and doors, and then a normal bead on every stud to keep everything nice and solid. And then right before we stand the wall we put a bead at the bottom of the belt to seal the whole wall off.

Attachments

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
First one you learn, second one will equal out time wise, typical 3000 sq ft house is an extra 1/2 role of wire.

Plumbing is almost a non issue, only thing on outside wall is usually kitchen sink vent, sometimes washer/laundry tub vent...in Canada
I've wired many, I had a builder that exclusively built ICF homes. I put a bolt in the bar of a little electric chainsaw and cut a trench for my wires.

My point was they are not easier to wire.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Little behind on posting pictures here, but we are all wrapped up and off to the next house.

We shingle our roofs and do all the flat work concrete as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
This is the basement, 1" foam against the foundation with 2x4 walls around it, everything taped or foamed tight!

Also we have been building out stairs out of Rimboard for years now, and always have people saying that we are cheap and its no good, and i just seen in the new addition of FineHomebuilding that it is the recommended way. Makes your heart a little warm when you see stuff like that! the magazine is in the work truck now so next time somebody says something I'm showing them that.

Attachments

·
Always Learning
8,744 Posts
Nice clean jobsite Multicon! Your framing looks very tight. Why all the radiant foam board?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Nice clean jobsite Multicon! Your framing looks very tight. Why all the radiant foam board?
Thanks!

Because it's awesome! it works super well for keeping heating and cooling costs down. You hardly have any thermal brakes in your wall. We took some pictures with a thermal gun of the walls on a cold and windy day, and it was all the same color red, were as with out the foam you can see every stud on the camera!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts