Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I am getting ready to build a new home in NE texas and had an geotechnical evaluation done. The result that they recommended a foundation exactly as I had been planning (pier and beam full walkout basement) but specified to design my spread footings for 1500 psf soil bearing and isolated footings at 2000 psf. I read the small print on my plans and they were designed for 2500psf. I cross checked my prints against the CABO residential 2 family dwelling code and they far exceed that.

Cabo says 1 story brick house at 2500 psf only needs 12" footing
My print specifys 20" footing and 10" wall. It looks like the print always has the footing at 2x the wall thickness resulting in overkill for footing width based on soil bearing.

Cabo also says 1 story brick house at 1500 psf (this is what the soil test found) needs 19" footing.

Does this mean that I can leave my building plans unchanged or do I have to find a strucural engineer to figure out what the soil engineer determined? Haven't hire the basement contractor yet, would he know or do they just pour to print?

Already spent $2700 to find out sandy on top, the clay is 16' down and shouldn't cause a problem as long as water is properly drained from finshed grade.

DC

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I would suggest that you go with a local engineer. Personally, I think that the piles are too shallow. If in doubt, go deeper. It will be cheaper in the long run.
I have been on a few projects where the pilings were driven down 55 ft. to hit bedrock.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We'll Actually these measurements were just spread footing widths. As far as how deep they are poured, Its an 8' basement and the Soil tests said to maintain a minimum 24" below finished grade ( frost level). This would only apply to garage footings. I guess I was lucky to not have to install drilled piers (pilings) But, you're probably right about getting my prints checked out by local engineer. Was hoping to save a fvew bucks but not if my foundation sinks.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Make the foundation right or you will be battling other problems forever as the house settles. It will be a never ending nightmare.
If you want a list of what can go wrong, ask here. Everybody has at least one horror story, I have several.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts