Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about this the last few days. I've been between a rock and a hard place lately. Weather since Thanksgiving has been horrible. 3 inches of rain one night, down to 0 degrees the next 3 days, and we even had two foot of snow a few weeks ago!

I'm bricking a house now, and have 3 houses setting and waiting on me. Plus a lot of other work, too. Two of my guys are still on there 'winter vacation' and the other one got hurt last week. That leaves me by myself, and my cell phone ringing every 30 minutes, it seems, someone wanting to know where I'm at! I'm working day light to dark every day I can.

My friend that owns the block company here, came by Tuesday for his bi-weekly meet and greet. I guess I was on my soap box whining a little bit, cause 10 years ago if I needed 2 or 3 masons next week, all I had to do is go get them. There aren't any good masons around here to pick from no more.

He left, and a couple hours later one of my competitors drives up on my job! Never talked to this guy before in my life! But I knew his truck and I knew it was him. We bid against each other on 'bout all of the big jobs in two counties. As a matter of fact, we're bidding against each other right now on a big church.

To be honest, I didn't really care to much for him being on my job. ( I really wasn't having a good day...lol )

He walked up and asked me if I was Johnny, I said I was. He said "I knew your dad, but I don't know you" kinda stern." But I understand you're in a bind." I said " yes sir, I guess I am"

He said "I tell ya what I'm going to do, Im going to finish a job Friday, and it'll be two weeks before we start the next job." and he proceeded to tell me he had 7 guys working for him, 4 masons, 2 helpers, and an operator. He said he was going to let me use his crew, and if I needed them for four weeks he would hold his other job off for two more weeks!

I was speechless ! This man don't even know me, and he's going to let me work his crew. He gave me his # and told me to call him sunday, and walked back to his truck.

I asked him why was he willing to help me out, he said he hadn't always been able to help anybody , now he sees a way he can. He told me one day I might be able to help him.

You see, around here different mason crews don't exactly hang out together, I was over whelmed, and still am.

It takes a life time to gain someone's respect , and only a moment to lose it.

Last Tuesday afternoon this man opened my eyes and gained my respect!

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,706 Posts
Well along with helping you he is probably keeping his crew busy in a time of slow work while waiting for that job to come up.

But either way, sure sounds like it'll help you out. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I apologize for the long 'soft' story above ....lol, I just wanted to share it with some body.

He proved to me that there is still good people around.
how much is he charging you for his crew?

i have done this to guys in th past..guys I knew of course.

but I charged them per man.

he paid me for their hours and I paid them and made over the top.

he is slow and looking to keep his men working.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how much is he charging you for his crew?

i have done this to guys in th past..guys I knew of course.

but I charged them per man.

he paid me for their hours and I paid them and made over the top.

he is slow and looking to keep his men working.
I pay my masons $3 an hour more than he does. He told me the only thing he'd ask of me was to pay his men what he pays them. If that's what he wants, that's fair enough.

If I use them, they'll be on my payroll....

·
Registered
932 Posts
What an outstanding gesture.

But, lets look at the pessimistic devil's advocate side of this:

What happens, if for instance, one or more of his guys don't meet up to your standards of work or work ethic? What are you going to do, fire them?

What happens if one of his guys gets hurt?

Maybe, you would be better off to sub it out to him. ??

That usually does not work out well either.

And, isn't this how construction has always been, feast or famine. Like bananas, it comes in bunches.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What an outstanding gesture.

But, lets look at the pessimistic devil's advocate side of this:

What happens, if for instance, one or more of his guys don't meet up to your standards of work or work ethic? What are you going to do, fire them?

What happens if one of his guys gets hurt?

Maybe, you would be better off to sub it out to him. ??

That usually does not work out well either.

And, isn't this how construction has always been, feast or famine. Like bananas, it comes in bunches.

Best of luck.
All of your points are very good ones, and trust me, I've thought about them all. I've been in such a bad spot, I've tried to consider everything.

Who ever is on my payroll will be covered by my insurance. And he told me I could use all of them or none of them, it was up to me.

As for as their workmanship, my buddy knows how picky I am over my work, and I'm hoping he thought about that before he sent them over there. You never know how good of a mason a man is until he starts laying.

I hope it works out ok....we'll see :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
28,889 Posts
Don't feel too bad about thinking there are no more really good guys out there then finding this guy to sort of "loan" you his crew.

You ought to look at it in the brightest light possible...you may still get screwed at the end of the job after all.

Andy.
I dont know about California, but there are still good people around. :whistling

The few times I had to lay guys off a few years ago, a few calls had them working. Ive picked up guys in the same fashion.

·
Super Moderator
28,889 Posts
Come on jaws you can still find good people here. You just can't go north of Orange County.
Just joshing :thumbsup:

But I havent been impressed with the SoCal yuppies moving here. They dont represent your state to well. But there is plenty of folks in Texas I wouldnt claim :laughing:

·
GC/carpenter
43,943 Posts
I had a taste of Texas when I was a young man. I got hit head on while riding a motorcycle. Broke my foot ripped my leg open and it required 57 metal staples and was left for dead unconscious in the middle of the road. Fast forward a few weeks I was still on crutches and I was sitting in a beer bar when a gentleman sat down next to me and said quietly "if I ever hear you talk about a yellow Cadillac that hit you again, I will kill you and bury you straight up and down like a fence post so the back hoe can't find you". He got up and walked away. It dawned on me at that moment I think I just met the guy who almost killed me. Needless to say I moved back here, which I had already in the works.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What's a winter vacation? Sounds like they need to get the frick back to work. :whistling
These guys are Mexicans, father and son. The son has worked for me for 14 years. They go back home every winter, for what started out as two weeks, and now its stretched to 8 weeks! :censored:

I have to say though, they haven't missed much work this winter, the weather has been HORRIBLE! Weather man's even forecasting snow this coming week.

They are 'suppose' to come back in one more week.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If I could find a good mason that wouldn't mind working, the son I was talking about, would be free to move back! :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,706 Posts
I had a taste of Texas when I was a young man. I got hit head on while riding a motorcycle. Broke my foot ripped my leg open and it required 57 metal staples and was left for dead unconscious in the middle of the road. Fast forward a few weeks I was still on crutches and I was sitting in a beer bar when a gentleman sat down next to me and said quietly "if I ever hear you talk about a yellow Cadillac that hit you again, I will kill you and bury you straight up and down like a fence post so the back hoe can't find you". He got up and walked away. It dawned on me at that moment I think I just met the guy who almost killed me. Needless to say I moved back here, which I had already in the works.
And you didn't kill the guy on the spot?:blink:

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I guess my point in sharing this wasn't really about my situation. My whole life, in my shallow way of thinking, I thought my competitors were to be kept at a distance. I thought I had to out do them in everything.

When in fact, this man proved to me that sometimes, we can all be on the same team :thumbsup:

·
GC/carpenter
43,943 Posts
And you didn't kill the guy on the spot?:blink:
I was on crutches. And the other leg was going through wound care therapy (debreedment) the staples pulled through and the wound was wide open and bandaged. Remember I was only in my mid 20 's I probably weighed about 140 lbs this guy was an older ugly mofo
I can safely say I probably had a nip or 3 at that point, as well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts