Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i own a bostich rn46 and today i used my guys hitachi ive tried them before but i was just so used to the balance on the bostich that it botherd me, but he had me use it all day determed that i was going to change my preference.
I did! it took a good hour to get used to it, but its so much smoother. and alot faster.

then i was going to cut my rake at the end of the day and droped my hook blade, so i used his. the handle shaped like a bannana. wow! more leverage knuckles are farther away from the shingles so no ground beef knuckles and no death grip. i always figured a knife is a knife. nope.

guess im going shopping this weakend :thumbup:

pisses me off i didnt experement with differnt things years ago.:furious:

·
Roofing Sage
3,409 Posts
i own a bostich rn46 and today i used my guys hitachi ive tried them before but i was just so used to the balance on the bostich that it botherd me, but he had me use it all day determed that i was going to change my preference.
I did! it took a good hour to get used to it, but its so much smoother. and alot faster.

then i was going to cut my rake at the end of the day and droped my hook blade, so i used his. the handle shaped like a bannana. wow! more leverage knuckles are farther away from the shingles so no ground beef knuckles and no death grip. i always figured a knife is a knife. nope.

guess im going shopping this weakend :thumbup:

pisses me off i didnt experement with differnt things years ago.:furious:
Guns?

I prefer Bostitch to Hitachi.

R U sure U were using a Bostitch RN46 when compared to the Hitachi?

Don't get me wrong, Hitachis are great (my #2 choice),
but I personally found the Bostitch way faster (especially when loading).

(But more power to you with your choice! :thumbsup: )

Knife?

This is the best knife I've found for hook blades (even thought Stanley made a new model based on it, the older one is far better).

Stanley Titan Knife (made in England)...the absolute best for hookblades:

The newer model (which is better than anything else out there except the Titan):

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
I have heard this numerous times, and nobody has ever been able to explain it to me. Maybe one of you guys can...

I have used many different nail guns for roofing over the years, and no gun has fired any more slowly than any of the others. So, aside from being easier to re-load, what is it precisely that makes one gun "faster" than another?

·
Roofing Sage
3,409 Posts
I have heard this numerous times, and nobody has ever been able to explain it to me. Maybe one of you guys can...

I have used many different nail guns for roofing over the years, and no gun has fired any more slowly than any of the others. So, aside from being easier to re-load, what is it precisely that makes one gun "faster" than another?
Good points. I'd say that what makes a gun "feel" better (IMO) is how it recovers from making contact with the work surface (something Hitachis do well).

Also, actual balance. Light weight ain't worth squat if the tool isn't balanced right. My Bostitch RN46 is the most perfectly balanced gun I've ever used and on top of that, it's a nice 4.9lbs.

Loading a Boss compared to a Hit is like loading an automatic vs a revolver. While the Hit guy is working to get his gun closed, I'm already knocking out more shingles. Fastest I've ever loaded my gun...2 seconds. Of course, I don't do that every day, but my buddy and I were just seeing how fast we could load and our guns. One of those stupid things you just HAVE TO know and you have to at that moment stop the job to find ou!

:lol:

Anyway, I believe there is one more gun that has a 1 piece loading mechanism now as well.

I thinik all those things contribute to how a gun "feels".

I'm looking forward to trying out the newer guns (Bosch, Makita, Porter Cable). I want to see what they got to offer.

Personally, the first gun I used was a Porter Cable. I have an affinity for them. They introduced me to mega production and I never looked back after that.

I also want to try out the Milwaukee. I've read great things about them.

Anywhoo...that's my 2 pennies.
:thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts