Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1381 - 1400 of 2373 Posts

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
I also called the 800-424-LEAD after tring to see if i could register on that cdx site . I checked on my app which they didnt have in the system yet , mailed in on 4/06. While talking to the service rep he told me your application would serve as your certification. I told him that it specifically says on the FAQ that is not true. He said he was aware of that and they are working to get that changed. I also asked if this was in writing anywhere and he said as of now it was not . According to him it will be changed .I don't know if i would trust this or not i want to see it in writing.
Our trainer yesterday stated a copy of the check/ application and certified mail receipt is go! :thumbsup: Don't need it in hand.

Nothing in writing though :no:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Our trainer yesterday stated a copy of the check/ application and certified mail receipt is go! :thumbsup: Don't need it in hand.

Nothing in writing though :no:
Did he say " IT SHOULD BE OK "

the EPA has put about 40 new answers on there FAO sight in the past 3 days if it is OK I sure would like to see it in writing.

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Did he say " IT SHOULD BE OK "

the EPA has put about 40 new answers on there FAO sight in the past 3 days if it is OK I sure would like to see it in writing.
Nope, just said keep copies and go to work...He provided us with paper form applications for this reason - not sure how to handle internet apps though, as I do think it will be faster that way. Maybe I should call him to confirm...Thinkin out loud:whistlingdon't mind me.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I also called the 800-424-LEAD after tring to see if i could register on that cdx site . I checked on my app which they didnt have in the system yet , mailed in on 4/06. While talking to the service rep he told me your application would serve as your certification. I told him that it specifically says on the FAQ that is not true. He said he was aware of that and they are working to get that changed. I also asked if this was in writing anywhere and he said as of now it was not . According to him it will be changed .I don't know if i would trust this or not i want to see it in writing.
I would want to see it in writing too. Especially, when the rule itself pretty clearly says you need the piece of paper to do work. If they change the rule itself ... I'm comfortable with it.

If they change it on the FAQ, I still wouldn't be comfortable with it. They changed it once ... they can change it again. I will always go with the rule itself.

Just me

·
Super Moderator
24,063 Posts
If they change it on the FAQ, I still wouldn't be comfortable with it. They changed it once ... they can change it again.
Exactly what I was thinking as I read today's posts in this thread. Who hasn't read Orwell's 1984? Taking any legal stance based solely upon "something you read on the internet" would be doubleplusungood.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Do the new rules specify 6 mil poly?
I've been looking in the book and on line, I can't find where it says that.

...if so, could someone please direct me to it?

·
Certified Remodeler
3,207 Posts
6 mil poly for the floor. I will be using lighter stuff for walls and entry.

These are suggested practices you learn in the class, some of those are OSHA and HUD practices. I will not be using the suits or booties.

If you control the dust, clean and wipe your good.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts

These are suggested practices you learn in the class, some of those are OSHA and HUD practices. I will not be using the suits or booties.

I'm not sure anyone has mentioned this,but in our class we were shown a 2'x3'" sticky mat" with layers of cellophane that you would step off the plastic onto and it would remove the lead from the bottom of your shoes.
You would just peal off a layer each time it was used, exposing a clean surface to reuse.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just had my class on Tuesday.
Unfortunately, I left with more questions than I had answers because my class was taught by someone who is an employee of a lead/asbestos abatement company. They taught us how to contain dust and how to clean. They couldn't answer specific questions because they simply didn't know.

My flags went up at the start of the class. We had to stand infront of a projector screen, hold up our name sign and get our picture taken. The picture is going to the Wisconsin Dept of Health, and they tell us it is for a photo ID they will be issuing. - That may be true, but it did make me wonder.

Every day I am reminded just how much I dislike my state of Wisconsin. This new lead-safe renovator law is another reason. Wisconsin takes the Federal law and puts it on steroids. No homeowner opt out, lower micro levels to pass, two photo licenses needed to comply and I'm sure there are more, but my mind is still numb. (Also numb from trying to read 70 pages of this discussion on this thread)

Oh, I just remembered another beauty of Wisconsin. There is no lead test kit accepted here. That EPA approved LeadCheck Test - nope, not in Wisconsin. My class instructor tells us that some company is "working on" making a test kit that will be accepted in Wisconsin, but none exists as of today.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm not sure anyone has mentioned this,but in our class we were shown a 2'x3'" sticky mat" with layers of cellophane that you would step off the plastic onto and it would remove the lead from the bottom of your shoes.
You would just peal off a layer each time it was used, exposing a clean surface to reuse.

We had those mats in our class too.
I was told we must use them. One by every exit point of the contained work.

Looks like I'm googling sticky tear-off mats and adding them to the ever increasing must-have list.

·
Registered
34 Posts

there isnt a specified mil for the floor, only suggested mil:whistling

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Have these hairbrains ever yet done a study on how many kids will lose what little immunity to lead they may already have if they're never exposed to any of it??

Oh, that's right, - - that won't bring in any cash . . . :rolleyes:

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts
I think the lead rule will work out in our favor once the regulations are worked out and enforcement comes into play..

I personally am all for it, I hope that in time it will help to stifle the unlicensed and hack contractors a bit..

You guys can whine and write all the letters tell you want until your blue in the face, the rule is coming, spend your energy getting certified and training yourself and your workers how to abide by the rules

·
Certified Remodeler
3,207 Posts
there isnt a specified mil for the floor, only suggested mil:whistling
Correct, 6 mil is not specified but makes sense in my opinion. Heavier and harder to tear. On the walls anything heavier than painters plastic, although painters plastic would contain it but taking it down would be an issue.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I think the lead rule will work out in our favor once the regulations are worked out and enforcement comes into play..

I personally am all for it, I hope that in time it will help to stifle the unlicensed and hack contractors a bit..

You guys can whine and write all the letters tell you want until your blue in the face, the rule is coming, spend your energy getting certified and training yourself and your workers how to abide by the rules

There currently are studies that show exposure to lead may be a possible deterrent to male pattern baldness.
I'm just sayin'.:whistling

·
Certified Remodeler
3,207 Posts
I read that lead gathers in a mans lower extremities causing girth to increase in certain areas.

Studies in China have revealed that in the last 30 years divorce is 50% less frequent for Chinese couples, lead is not controlled in China.

On the other hand since 1978 divorce for Americans has increased by 50%, this does not include Larry King:eek:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Have these hairbrains ever yet done a study on how many kids will lose what little immunity to lead they may already have if they're never exposed to any of it??

Oh, that's right, - - that won't bring in any cash . . . :rolleyes:
So how can we help kids build their immunity? Should I start collecting paint chips for them? Maybe we can get a collection box set up at McDonald's or something.

1381 - 1400 of 2373 Posts