Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Sluggin away
1,393 Posts
Fines

Already epa licensed for lead but I was in school recently and the shocking thing on this new ruling that we heard was that the enforcement for the EPA is going to be "John Q Public" and your competitors (other contractors) and the fine we were told is $32,500 per occurence and there is a reward of up to 25% for whoever turns in the contractor...
Sounds like 1 big cluster **** to me:whistling
I sincerely hope this is not true! Everyone will be constantly looking over your shoulders like a damn criminal or something.:help:

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,716 Posts
Already epa licensed for lead but I was in school recently and the shocking thing on this new ruling that we heard was that the enforcement for the EPA is going to be "John Q Public" and your competitors (other contractors) and the fine we were told is $32,500 per occurence and there is a reward of up to 25% for whoever turns in the contractor...
I sincerely hope this is not true! Everyone will be constantly looking over your shoulders like a damn criminal or something.:help:
That's the first I've heard about any reward. Where did that info come from?

·
Sluggin away
1,393 Posts
reward

This is what we were told in school. I've actually heard this twice in the last month. In Nashville in school and in Omaha in school. From what we were told the EPA is running a 32 million ad campaign for "public awareness" and the rights for John Q Public. :mad: I have tried finding out on the EPA website but it is vague so who the heck knows!

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,716 Posts
Do you need to have your supervisors certificate prior to applying for your firm's certification?
No, you don't have to take the class first. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but you can apply to be a Certified Firm any time (just submit the application to EPA with your $300).

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
No, you don't have to take the class first. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but you can apply to be a Certified Firm any time (just submit the application to EPA with your $300).
I was hearing that it could take up to 90 days to approve a firm, If I do not have my cert by mid january, I would like to get the firm cert in process

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I think in order to be a certified firm there needs to be at least one Cretified renovator (take the class). It is crazy. Omaha is a Superfund Cleanup site and I just passed my Lead abatement Supervisor license exam. I can Spec and Run Full Lead Abatement jobs but i need a 4 hour Refresser class ($150) to touch siding on a renovation:censored:
Craig

·
Registered
1,857 Posts

Here is the call in link http://www.hud.gov/offices/lead/enforcement/index.cfm

·
Vendor
465 Posts
Our class was told there were only a few enforcement people from the EPA in all of California. They did not say anything about rewards to contractors, or the public, for turning in violating contractors.

They did say the fines were around $36,000 per incident/violation and for contractors unaware of the procedures there would most likely be many violations on one job.
We've tried to get EPA to tell us more, but about the best we can do is dig out fines they have already issued for thing such as not handling out brochures and notifications. You can bet the tenants rights groups will be / are paying attention to RRP.
________
A_DIAMOND cam

·
Registered
164 Posts
Sorry to say it but it seems like a money grab here pushed by all the companies offering certification. They still use lead flashing and shower pans here and what of oak dust I hear it is a possible carcinogen

1 - 20 of 25 Posts