Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am trying to figure out why my new employer is trying to have me sign a 10-99 tax form. I am not trying to sell myself as a contractor. I am as of right now just an assistant. I have two more years until I can take the test out here in buffalo. I just want to make sure I have all my bases covered. I also do not want to have my own insurance coverage being considerd a sub-contractor. Why would an employer want me to do a 10-99? He says it has something to do with his health insurance coverage. I don't need health insurance though. I am covered under my parents for the next three years. Also are there any advantages for me to do this? If I do sign this one will I owe this tax season.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
This is a scary trend, that seems to be growing. Very greesey. I get the desire to 1099 somebody, but if that's the case, that comes with a premium. If he wants to increase the pay by say 25%, maybe it's worthwhile, but don't let him put any coverage burdens on you.

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
Hello, I am trying to figure out why my new employer is trying to have me sign a 10-99 tax form. I am not trying to sell myself as a contractor. I am as of right now just an assistant. I have two more years until I can take the test out here in buffalo. I just want to make sure I have all my bases covered. I also do not want to have my own insurance coverage being considerd a sub-contractor. Why would an employer want me to do a 10-99? He says it has something to do with his health insurance coverage. I don't need health insurance though. I am covered under my parents for the next three years. Also are there any advantages for me to do this? If I do sign this one will I owe this tax season.
You are very observant and I congratulate you for this. I assume you mean a W-9 which is the precursor to a 10-99.

Your "employer" is trying to exploit your wrongly perceived naivety and you caught him cold.

I'm impressed.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was given the w-9 today. I haven't filled it out. I am supposed to fill out the 10-99 tomorrow. I really don't fell comfortable signing something I know nothing about. I might be young but I will not be taken advantage of. I also won't risk my future on a few extra dollars. I don't want to be fined for being an uncertified Electrician when realistically I should be working under a certified electrician. That's another concern about the 10-99.

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
I was given the w-9 today. I haven't filled it out. I am supposed to fill out the 10-99 tomorrow. I really don't fell comfortable signing something I know nothing about. I might be young but I will not be taken advantage of. I also won't risk my future on a few extra dollars. I don't want to be fined for being an uncertified Electrician when realistically I should be working under a certified electrician. That's another concern about the 10-99.
DO NOT fill the W-9 out or sign it.

You will thank us later but this guy is a scumbag. Take the day off tomorrow as well and look for a real contractor to work for. QUIT NOW!

I am also sorry to say that you will likely not be paid for any work you have done since he will hold "not signing this" over your head.

I friggin hate these guys but they are all over the place.

You called this one on the nose young man. See if he'll settle with cash.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its tough to find an Electrician locally that will hire someone with only two years experience. It took me months to find this. I won't work for someone who rips off old people and someone who installs used products when people pay for new ones.

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
Its tough to find an Electrician locally that will hire someone with only two years experience. It took me months to find this. I won't work for someone who rips off old people and someone who installs used products when people pay for new ones.
Damn Eric. I'd hire you in a flash but you are hundreds of miles away. The elderly are whom I protect due to all the predators out there.

Hang around this forum though. You are our kind of people and I know that many of us will help where we can. If you are dead set on being an employee, why not check out the local union hall?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like what the union offers but I someday would like to own an electrical company. Its hard to learn small business from such a large company. I've always worked for small companies. I would like to keep it that way for as long as I can.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,802 Posts
Like others have said under no condition sign those. The guy is just try to get out of paying his share of taxes and W/C on you. Unless he is a good size company not sure the healthcare even afects him. Hope you can find someone honest to work for,

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
1st off i would ask about compensation for taxes and you will need to pick up your own liability insurance.
2nd do you need to be certified out there? NYS does not require a license and leave it to the local juristictions. You should also be covered under his license if you are on his payroll, whether a sub or not.
3rd He also by law is suppose to have workmans comp on you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's just him and I. Ill just keep looking for something in the green energy field it's the future.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1st off i would ask about compensation for taxes and you will need to pick up your own liability insurance.
2nd do you need to be certified out there? NYS does not require a license and leave it to the local juristictions. You should also be covered under his license if you are on his payroll, whether a sub or not.
3rd He also by law is suppose to have workmans comp on you.
I will ask tomorrow. In western Ny you do need to be certified.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,345 Posts
He is not abiding by federal tax law, I don't believe you qualify as an independent contractor. If you do decide to quit and he trys to not pay you, you tell him you promise not to go to the IRS if he pays what's owed to you in cash.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts

That is the way we do things here. :whistling What else is new?

·
Registered
246 Posts
10-99 is hiring you as an independent contractor and places all responsibility of taxes, insurances, etc solely on you. If a license is needed for the type of work that you do, then as an independent contractor you will also need your own license to legally sub that work. It is like a GC hiring a plumber. The plumber needs a license even though the GC hired him. You will need a license a too. Plus all responsibility is on you through your social and you have no protection of a business! If something goes wrong, it is your butt....

I am not 100% on the rules up in NY so forgive me if I have gone into a subject that is not relevant for NY, but i want to make sure that you have all of your bases covered.

Good catch though, you need to look out for you... He sure is looking out for himself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you everyone. Once he shows up to the job I'm going to explain to him either I'm an employee or I am not. If he decides to let me go it won't be the end of the world. If he does keep me on I will keep searching. I don't like how he tried to pull a fast one on me. Its only going to happen again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
He is not abiding by federal tax law, I don't believe you qualify as an independent contractor. If you do decide to quit and he trys to not pay you, you tell him you promise not to go to the IRS if he pays what's owed to you in cash.
Well I took your advice he is trying not to pay me. I told him I would go to the IRS and he came after me with a baseball bat. He was taking advantage of the elderly.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,345 Posts
Well I took your advice he is trying not to pay me. I told him I would go to the IRS and he came after me with a baseball bat. He was taking advantage of the elderly.
Well time for a letter, give him 7 days to pay up or the IRS gets to know about his baseball bat fit as well. However if you're at all afraid for your saftey by all means either beat his ass proactively or call the cops.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts