Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

New electric service plan Rv spaces x 4

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  luvs2dig 
#1 ·
thanks in advance. Gathering advice for electric service.

I am putting in 4 spaces with 70 amp rv service panels (50a plug and 20gfci). The 4 spaces will run the front of a property that is 300 feet wide.

Primary Service will be 200 or 400 amp right at the base of the power pole. This will feed a 5 meter panel 20 feet away. (4 rv spaces and site power for lights gates etc).

Or i can meter at the sites if this would save wiring and conduit.

After the secondary panel is where i need help with budgeting the wire runs and conduit.

What is the best practice here.
A. Individual wire runs to each space? 50ft, 100ft, 170ft, 250ft.

B. Or one long trunk line with junction boxes teed to each space?

Let me know what other data is needed.

Thanks so much!

See less See more
#2 ·
Five meters adds a lot of unnecessary expense. Do you expect the power company to bill each RV owner separately? Use a single meter at the main panel and charge a flat rate for electricity at each location.

As for the method of wiring, do some math. A single trunk would need to be 200A wire for the whole length, plus junctions and drops. Individual runs would use 50A wire (maybe a tad heavier to compensate for voltage drop).

#3 ·
rv users can get crazy with open windows and ac usage. extra cost to meter all vs not is only about 500 bucks total. It will be one meter to the pud and I will be billing each direct actual cost split.

I was looking into this wire https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwi...randed-AL-Ramapo-URD-Cable-55417401/202316602

till I was reading about conduit and was thinking I am going to use conduit and not bury this direct.

Trunk line will be straight trench and the t's if I use them or not will be the only bend.

What size wire would you use for the trunk line if I go that route. If I dont I will probably buy different wire for the two short runs vs the long runs. I am going to do all the digging and wire/conduit and have an electrician finish the install. I want to know what to ask for when I talk to a couple different electricians.

I dont prefer to get bids when I am not in the know.

#4 ·
While I can appreciate your desire to do your homework before getting bids, this is beyond the intended scope of this forum. We're here to share experiences in our trades, not to teach. Plus, what some guy on the internet says is often worth what you paid for it.

My advice is to contact a couple-three professional electricians, indicating your desire to do the grunt work. They will have their preferred materials and methods, and can give you a ballpark price. DIY isn't really the best idea for this sort of project for someone who has no training in the field.

#7 · (Edited)
individual utility meters would be a income source and much fairer to the low usage campers....

a 200 Ampere panel for 360 amps of demand on a hot moist day is silly and blackout ready IMHO....

underground = resilience from storms etc.... center trans former? price both ways, with off set tranny or transformer centered in park to minimize run lengths.

Don't forget the data service, maybe a mini cell 'Tower'?

#8 ·
This is my parts list currently. Want to verify fit before pushing the buy button.

Main panel:

This panel would be after the poco single meter

4 rv spots and auxillary services

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Siemens-...4511/300870437

Rv panels:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-RV-Pa...32PS/300325107

Wire for all:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwir...7401/202316602

I assume this wire would be overkill for the short runs but would it work for the long run? Also is it compatible size wise with these panels or is it too thick of wire (how do I tell...)

Thanks again for all the help!!!!

Attachments

#9 ·
There are a host of NEC requirements that you haven’t even mentioned
, and probably don’t even know exist.

You were advised to contact an electrician. That is your best bet. You don’t just go to HD and search for “wire” and start cobbling things together. :no:

And I charge 105 an hour for electrical design work, 2 hour minimum. ;)

So I’m not gonna run through your shopping list for ya. :laughing:

#10 ·
People were active on the thread so I provided more information. Sorry. I had assumed the moderator was going to close it.

As a Beginner contractor I apologize for any wrongdoings.

Im practicing on my own property with the equipment I bought. If this isnt the forum for me just kick me out.

#11 ·
I doubt they want to boot ya. :laughing:

Electrical is both complicated and dangerous, so it’s not something we usually help folk DIY that’s all.

Are you familiar with tap rules?

Have you sized your wiring per NEC tables, or just seat of the pants?

Are you familiar with fixtures and wiring methods for Wet Locations?

Burial depth?

AL vs CU? Advantages/disadvantages to each?

There’s a lot to it. :thumbsup:

#12 ·
I appreciate that. I am certainly not doing the final myself. Truth is Im trying to take advantage of an expiring offer at home depot for 2 years no interest on this purchase and electrical contractors here are weeks out right now.

I was hoping to get the order placed. Have the supplies in hand.

Im an over researcher and will continue my research. I have looked at code for burial depths depending on conduit type vs no conduit. I've gotten different answers on wire size depending on where I look.

This year has been a toughie for me. Bought new machinery just before covid hit, reducing my normal income greatly, now Im scrambling to get this land developed skirting the edges of temporary living to keep my bills inline through the winter. All while learning how to use a mini-ex and skid steer.

I had planned on taking a year to learn before really trying to do anything like this but plans change eh?

What a cluster.

Ill be looking into tap rules next :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.