Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am plumbing in a new dishwasher and it is not located near a sink where I can connect the discharge into the sink trap. I can put in a trap just for the dishwasher but I am not sure about venting. Do you have any ideas about venting for a trap used only for a dishwasher.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
use the search link, to the right of center at the menu bar, to search for other threads pertinent to "dishwasher drain". that might help you.

·
Contractor
46 Posts
stevezaniboni said:
I am plumbing in a new dishwasher and it is not located near a sink where I can connect the discharge into the sink trap. I can put in a trap just for the dishwasher but I am not sure about venting. Do you have any ideas about venting for a trap used only for a dishwasher.

Thanks

How far away from the sink or the nearest vent could the new dishwasher be? Is it that far that you might need a vent? You could actually use a longer drain line then what's given to you if you need to reach a bit farther. The same goes for washing machines. The odds of that small line shooting into the drain and backing up is not likely. The smallest nearest drain line would be 2" and if it's not near a sink then it's probably 3" or 4". The odds are that it's a 1-1/2" isn't likely although possible. Even so...it's not likely to back up either. I think the drain line on a dishwashe is 5/8"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hammertime said:
How far away from the sink or the nearest vent could the new dishwasher be? Is it that far that you might need a vent? You could actually use a longer drain line then what's given to you if you need to reach a bit farther. The same goes for washing machines. The odds of that small line shooting into the drain and backing up is not likely. The smallest nearest drain line would be 2" and if it's not near a sink then it's probably 3" or 4". The odds are that it's a 1-1/2" isn't likely although possible. Even so...it's not likely to back up either. I think the drain line on a dishwashe is 5/8"
Tne nearest vent is about 5 ft away but the problem is that this vent starts in the wall behind the kitchen sink and does not go down into the basement. To tie into it I will have to tear into the wall, I can do this but I would like to avoid it if I can.
Is it OK to use one of the vent valves they sell at Home Depot. I could tie this into the sewer side of the trap?
If I want to wet vent the dishwasher what size would the PVC pipe need to be? The dishwasher drain is 5/8-3/4".

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I used one of these when I moved my washing machine to a location where tie-in to an existing vent wasn't practical. http://www.oatey.com/aav_public/optimized.html . It's been six years now without a problem - though I can't say that it complies with 'code'. It's accesible through a small panel in the drywall to facilitate replacement should it eventually fail. If you use one, make sure to install it at a height that is well above that of the anticipated drainage flow.
It's hard for me to belive that the flow from a dishwasher discharge is sufficient to develop a vacuum in a 2" drain line. You should probably think hard about wether you even need a vent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts