Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting a request to do so by DecksEtc (Surprise Surprise) I've decided to add a Decks forum to the board.
I added the Decks forum to the landscaping section for the same reason I added drywall to the carpentry section... I didn't really know where to put it LOL ;)

Hopefully this will help more and more people find a niche on our board to call home.

DecksEtc, hopefully you can pull a few friends over to ContractorTalk.com now.

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
It never hurts to start planning for the spring early!!!

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
This spring I want to get into curve work. Can you share the complexity of bending trex. Are the other composits bendable? Are there any that don't bend well? From what I understand it is done with a torch? How long does it take to cool and will it tend return to straight quickly? It seems like it would be a hot seller if the labor isn't all that time consuming. Interesting concept and from the images I've seen a beautiful look.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I've seen trex bent with a hot water machine. But why the hell would you want to work with trex anyways?

I've built a few curved decks. I use 1/4 inch resawed cedar facia board, clamps and glue. Of course the deck boards are all straight, not like those pictures you see on the trex posters.

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Mike,
I am considering working with Trex because of the weather here in upstate NY. rough winters, and the fact that it requires less maintenance is apealing to some customers. Are you saying the product is no good or just that you love real wood that much. Around here most decking is PT. My clientel are use to seeing PT. Very little cedar decking is done here. the expence is prohibitive. At least with my customers.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Deck?
I have a deck?
I see a big pile of snow, do you think it's under that? :)

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Paul,

If the cost of cedar is prohibative for the majority of your customers then I doubt you're going to have too many of them interested in Trex. Unless you're lucky and the cost of Trex is close to that of PT in NY. Up here, the cost of Trex is the same if not higher than cedar. Also, I've been hearing that Trex isn't all that it's cracked up to be when it comes to how it weathers. Cedar, and I admit I am biased, is still by far the best and most durable decking material - mother nature did it right first.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
MinConst said:
Mike,
I am considering working with Trex because of the weather here in upstate NY. rough winters, and the fact that it requires less maintenance is apealing to some customers. Are you saying the product is no good or just that you love real wood that much. Around here most decking is PT. My clientel are use to seeing PT. Very little cedar decking is done here. the expence is prohibitive. At least with my customers.
Both. I love real wood and the product is no good. There are now something like 60-70 trex like products on the market - a new one seems to appear every day.

You and I have polar opposite issues in regard to decks. One of your biggest issues is moisture, my biggest is sun exposure. So when I say the product is no good it is because of what I have to deal with. Trex and all the competitors try to sell their product as maintenance free. That is such a stretch. I would consider it a lower maintenance product but certainly not maintenance free. They now make a stain for Trex - imagine that? Why would the manufacturer make a product that is a maintenace one for a maintenance free product?

Trex out here fades, it gets too hot. Everywhere in the country it will show wear patterns, like from the patio door to the stairs over time. If you have a gas grill on it and you get grease on it it is stained for life. Out where you are there are mold issues with Trex. Do a search for Trex and mold lawsuit or class action lawsuit. Composite isn't any cheaper than redwood, cedar and in some cases more exotic woods. Because of the lack of structural strength you add more lumber and labor costs because of the 12 inch on center joists required instead of 16.

Have you seen the new Trex products which look totally different then the original stuff, it almost looks like rough saw, I supposed to deal with the wear issues.

I don't see the stuff as anything great. The idea of composite wood is awesome, the current products aren't there yet, I hope in 10 years to see all this change.

If all your clients can only afford PT decks then you are stuck. I would want to find better clients because Cedar, redwood, Ipe, Mahogany and others are much more fun to work with. If they can only afford PT I can't see how you are going to be able to get them to afford the extra costs of the labor in doing fancy bend patterns in Trex.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
DecksEtc said:
Paul,

If the cost of cedar is prohibative for the majority of your customers then I doubt you're going to have too many of them interested in Trex. Unless you're lucky and the cost of Trex is close to that of PT in NY. Up here, the cost of Trex is the same if not higher than cedar. Also, I've been hearing that Trex isn't all that it's cracked up to be when it comes to how it weathers. Cedar, and I admit I am biased, is still by far the best and most durable decking material - mother nature did it right first.
I find the same thing PT and Trex aren't close in price, not just in deck board to deck board comparissons but in the additional framing and labor involved in using Trex.

Paul - If you think cedar is the cats ass, you need to look into Ipe. Won't burn, 50 year life span, hard as steel, 24 inch on center joists, won't rot, finishes to a look that mimic fine furniture.

·
Registered
269 Posts
:D You were jokin right Bob, surely the lumber yards in Ill are hyping the composite decking just like they are here in Mo and all over the country. I don't like the hollow core stuff at all, just looks like it would be cracked to sh** after the first hard winter. I've got some samples in the truck that I got last fall when I had a customer looking for a maintanence free custom deck. It's a solid and supposedly cuts, etc just like real wood. We never used it as it was double in cost over p/t. Here's a link to the trex site in case you were serious glass.

http://www.trex.com/

Here's a pretty interesting read comparing the different makers of the products, I found with a quick google search. I think the samples I got are of the Boardwalk Decking from Certainteed at the bottom of the page. I know Certainteed makes great siding products.http://www.ebuild.com/guide/resources/product-news.asp?ID=334

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I haven't seen a lot of composite decking down here but what I have seen appears to have structural problems, meaning that it sags over time. UV's seem to do a job on it as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have been a deck builder for the last 3 years in the pacific Northwest and out of all the products around the only one I like is Timbertech. Great composite, 16'' center, just like trex by the way, and has a great brushed surface on one side and a wood grain on the other. Prices for 5/4x6 are around $1.95 per foot, compared to cedar which is around 70 cents per foot. Cedar is the absolute cheapest decking there is around my parts, generally costing less than half of any composite deck. I build around 15-20 composite decks per year with zero call backs to date.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Has anyone seen the LP products... they claim to have a Weather Best composite decking with low maintenance and they also have the Evans Plus cedar decking....

www.lpcorp.com under products & decking....

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Thanks for the link Wall.

Yes I'm serious, ya know, I havn't done everthing, although I know a few women who would beg to differ on that point.:cheesygri

Bob

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yes I'm serious, ya know, I havn't done everthing, although I know a few women who would beg to differ on that point.
Are you braggin or complaining? :D

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
I haven't seen a lot of composite decking down here but what I have seen appears to have structural problems, meaning that it sags over time. UV's seem to do a job on it as well.
That's because if you want to be in business for the long term plastic needs to be put down on 12 inch centers. Another factor to increasing the true price of composite - more joist material and labor.

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
We're of the same mind again Mike. There is just no substitute for cedar. I mean, I'll build composite if the customer really wants it. But you'll never see anything but a cedar deck on my home.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts