Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I post on the new deck, let's take a look at the old deck.

Here is the deck we tore out. Cantilever is almost 5'. The living room is the portion of the house jutting out into the deck. It was supported by posts using these little bases bolted to a concrete slab. They were up to a 1 1/2 inches out of plumb. Notice those braces jutting out from the bottom of the living room support posts. Those 2 braces were attached to the deck fascia and holding up a 18' wide section of deck. Some of the deck piers were sitting on older precast piers.

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
Looks like a deck I reviewed last week except the cantilever was only 4' but the 2x8 joists and beam connection were a long way from the ledger. Some people like arched floors & beams. They just wanted a new railing and of course it has been like that for 15 years so what is the problem.
I am sure you will fix it all up. Pictures when you're ready.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mark, what is the span on those posts ?

It seems short to me but could be the way the photo came out.

J.
Very observant Jon, yes the post centers are short, around 7'. As are the joist spans. This is the owners 4th deck and he wants it strong and he wants it to last.

It will not be free standing.

·
GC/carpenter
43,858 Posts
redwood said:
Our only other choice is pressure treated hem fir, which is cheaper, but not nearly as stable. Not that any PT is stable. Either is readily available here.
I hate PT Hem Fir. The Doug fir is stronger and more dense IMO. That's why I never buy PT from the big box stores, only my Lumberyard. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
Remodel
31,055 Posts
What's funny about that is the big box here carries SYP and not DF or HF. I think the local yards carry HF... But I don't really know.
PT around here is SYP. I can get Hemlock or Doug Fir untreated. Best source for stocked Doug Fir is HD. Best sources for Hemlock are the local mills.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,055 Posts
You can do anything with Photoshop:whistling

The only snow I saw in Santa Clara (late 70s, early 80s) was on top of Mt. Hamilton. I guess it's colder now:laughing:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts