Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
44,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ScipioAfricanus said:
I did not see that part either, I interpret the CRC as still requiring the lateral bracing. What did I miss Mike? Is that link to an alternative framing manual of some sort? It has more info than I see in the 2013 CRC. Andy.
Andy, I believe the above mentioned changes are proposals by NADRA I'm having a hard time finding if they were approved, as I don't have the new CRC but the part that I'm talking about in reference to the lateral bracing, its page 6 and refers to this number. R507.9.2.1

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Andy, I believe the above mentioned changes are proposals by NADRA I'm having a hard time finding if they were approved, as I don't have the new CRC but the part that I'm talking about in reference to the lateral bracing, its page 6 and refers to this number. R507.9.2.1
Still required, but the angle reinforcements of the joist to subfloor connection are not if the subfloor has nailing 6"OC.

·
GC/carpenter
44,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ScipioAfricanus said:
Yes, railing height is and will remain at 42" with an exception for stairs, etc. Andy.
That exception for stairs is between 34" and 38" with 4 3/8" baluster spacing and no more the 6" (sphere) space At the riser and tread triangle.

·
GC/carpenter
44,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Golden view said:
Still required, but the angle reinforcements of the joist to subfloor connection are not if the subfloor has nailing 6"OC.
Which means as long as the house subfloor is nailed at 6" o.c. The holddowns are not required. From what I gather.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
As I read it the tension ties (hold downs) are always required for ledger supported decks.

If the subfloor is not nailed 6" OC, you need to ALSO add 4 angle brackets inside the house.

·
GC/carpenter
44,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Golden view said:
As I read it the tension ties (hold downs) are always required for ledger supported decks. If the subfloor is not nailed 6" OC, you need to ALSO add 4 angle brackets inside the house.
Page six says reinforcing angles are NOT required if the floor sheathing has 6"o.c. Nailing on the floor joists. I don't know how that tells you they are always needed. :whistling:

·
GC/carpenter
44,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Golden view said:
As I read it the tension ties (hold downs) are always required for ledger supported decks. If the subfloor is not nailed 6" OC, you need to ALSO add 4 angle brackets inside the house.
I see they are referring to the A35 on the sheathing. My bad

·
GC/carpenter
44,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
When they said angle I was thinking that was the holddown. Fortunately I have a guy that will exclude them in the design of my decks. Most cities in Cali aren't enforcing them. I talked to Redwood he said the same thing. They need to do away with those things, if they start enforcing them it could put an end to my decking career.

·
GC/carpenter
44,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Golden view said:

Golden,
Have you had to put them in in your area?

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
When they said angle I was thinking that was the holddown. Fortunately I have a guy that will exclude them in the design of my decks. Most cities in Cali aren't enforcing them. I talked to Redwood he said the same thing. They need to do away with those things, if they start enforcing them it could put an end to my decking career.
Nah, I've got an invention in mind that should work and be easy to install from the outside, now I've just got to make it and get it approved as an alternate to Simpsons option.

·
GC/carpenter
44,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
RobertCDF said:
Nah, I've got an invention in mind that should work and be easy to install from the outside, now I've just got to make it and get it approved as an alternate to Simpsons option.

Perfect you will sell it to me won't you? Come on man we go way back.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Golden,
Have you had to put them in in your area?
In Tacoma, just today in fact. First time ever, odd coincidence. Kind of expensive in time and materials in my opinion.

If I'm confident there is no way the deck could fall and injure people I will omit and the inspectors probably won't care.

This was a high deck with a suspect rim joist.

·
GC/carpenter
44,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Golden view said:
In Tacoma, just today in fact. First time ever, odd coincidence. Kind of expensive in time and materials in my opinion. If I'm confident there is no way the deck could fall and injure people I will omit and the inspectors probably won't care. This was a high deck with a suspect rim joist.

It is well know the biggest reason for deck failures is poor flashing that create ledger rot.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts