Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have the dewalt xrp tools with 18v nicad brick battery's. it's time to think about an upgrade.
I know a lot of you guys use makita but also I have read about the issues with the battery's.
I know it was mentioned on another thread they are coming out with 4ah batteries but I can't find
hardly anything on that anywhere.

So the short version is, picking a new cordless tool line, what brand would you go with?

I know, festool is awesome (love the stuff we bought. I need to post pictures soon but been crazy busy)
however I don't think that's what we are looking for right now. Main cordless tools we use would be drill and impact but obviously
would expand into whatever system we choose.
I'm thinking brushless is the way to go but I'm not sure which kit is recommended. Makita has the free battery or bare tool
thing going on right now also...

·
GC/carpenter
43,896 Posts
Xtrememtnbiker said:
We have the dewalt xrp tools with 18v nicad brick battery's. it's time to think about an upgrade. I know a lot of you guys use makita but also I have read about the issues with the battery's. I know it was mentioned on another thread they are coming out with 4ah batteries but I can't find hardly anything on that anywhere. So the short version is, picking a new cordless tool line, what brand would you go with? I know, festool is awesome (love the stuff we bought. I need to post pictures soon but been crazy busy) however I don't think that's what we are looking for right now. Main cordless tools we use would be drill and impact but obviously would expand into whatever system we choose. I'm thinking brushless is the way to go but I'm not sure which kit is recommended. Makita has the free battery or bare tool thing going on right now also...
I own the Milwaukee Fuel, their brushless line. I am very pleased with their performance. Especially the power. I use them for composite decking which is very dense. The batteries have been excellent. They keep a Long charge. They take about an hour to charge but last all day. Of course it depends on how much you use them. I push them pretty good. I have the fuel impact, drill and the cordless jigsaw and recommend all of them. The price is right too.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Californiadecks said:
I own the Milwaukee Fuel, their brushless line. I am very pleased with their performance. Especially the power. I use them for composite decking which is very dense. The batteries have been excellent. They keep a Long charge. They take about an hour to charge but last all day. Of course it depends on how much you use them. I push them pretty good. I have the fuel impact, drill and the cordless jigsaw and recommend all of them. The price is right too.
And here I just spent an hour reading a 20 page thread where most of the guys like makita. Lol.
Did about an 8x40 front porch last fall. Pressure treated material, two impacts going 2 batteries per impact to screw the decking down. I've just never known any other way...

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
I think you will just have to test them out yourself because nowadays that is what it boils down to. Personal preference(s).

I have heard great things about all and bad things about all. Right now I am running Bosch, Makita, and an older DeWalt.

Makita is the leader in the cordless tool selection. DeWalt I would say is close behind. Bosch and Milwaukee are catching up but have the usual tools if you are not looking for more specialized cordless tools.

My reasons are;
My NiCad DeWalt drill and 2 batteries won't die. Cant force myself to get rid of it.

My Makitas I like the feel and selection of tools. They really do good with they way they make their cordless line.

My Bosch are just more powerful than the others. IMO. They also feel really good in my hand.

Don't rule out Hilti either. Some guys on here have their cordless setup and really like them.

·
GC/carpenter
43,896 Posts
Xtrememtnbiker said:
And here I just spent an hour reading a 20 page thread where most of the guys like makita. Lol. Did about an 8x40 front porch last fall. Pressure treated material, two impacts going 2 batteries per impact to screw the decking down. I've just never known any other way...
Not knocking Mikita at all. I was soured by Makita's batteries. I swear they only lasted me 6 months. The Milwaukee batteries have a three year warranty.

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
I can't even count how much makita 18v stuff I own, but as far as the tools that I have:
Drills. (6 or 7)
Impacts. (5 or 6)
Circ Saws. (3)
Sazall. (2, I think... although I think 1 went missing recently)
Grinder. (1)
Blower. (1)
Multitool. (1)
T50 Stapler. (1)
Radio. (1, although it's broken right now)
Sure I've had some problems with batteries, but the tools are so excellent that it almost doesn't matter. I'll be taking a bunch of batteries and other broken tools to their service center soon, hopefully I'll get a few batts replaced.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Californiadecks said:
Not knocking Mikita at all. I was soured by Makita's batteries. I swear they only lasted me 6 months. The Milwaukee batteries have a three year warranty.
I have held some makita at the store and they felt better than milwaukee in my hand, wasn't actually using. But the battery issue is a little disconcerting... Bari is the one who mentioned the 4ah batteries I think . Idk, if they are coming out soon and would be fixed or not.
But those batteries... I want these tools to last at least several years.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CrpntrFrk said:
I think you will just have to test them out yourself because nowadays that is what it boils down to. Personal preference(s). I have heard great things about all and bad things about all. Right now I am running Bosch, Makita, and an older DeWalt. Makita is the leader in the cordless tool selection. DeWalt I would say is close behind. Bosch and Milwaukee are catching up but have the usual tools if you are not looking for more specialized cordless tools. My reasons are; My NiCad DeWalt drill and 2 batteries won't die. Cant force myself to get rid of it. My Makitas I like the feel and selection of tools. They really do good with they way they make their cordless line. My Bosch are just more powerful than the others. IMO. They also feel really good in my hand. Don't rule out Hilti either. Some guys on here have their cordless setup and really like them.
The thread I referred to was your test of the 3 kits thread. It was a good read. We use some more specialize tools as well. Jigsaw, vac, root zip tool, etc in the dewalt line and would get more in the new line. But the drill and impact working well and being comfortable is the main thing. Use those daily just about.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RobertCDF said:
I can't even count how much makita 18v stuff I own, but as far as the tools that I have: Drills. (6 or 7) Impacts. (5 or 6) Circ Saws. (3) Sazall. (2, I think... although I think 1 went missing recently) Grinder. (1) Blower. (1) Multitool. (1) T50 Stapler. (1) Radio. (1, although it's broken right now) Sure I've had some problems with batteries, but the tools are so excellent that it almost doesn't matter. I'll be taking a bunch of batteries and other broken tools to their service center soon, hopefully I'll get a few batts replaced.
So do they sometimes replace the batteries for free out of warranty or is it just the 1 year (I think) warranty?

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
Hmmm... Just wondering aloud... Do you think the new black chargers take care of the batteries killing themselves off? Anyone got a high ranking contact at Makita that could get us an answer? I would hope they fixed it by now and maybe that is part of the solution?

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was trying to keep the OP short cause I know y'all hate long ones. lol. But I am looking at the XT248 brushless impact/drill kit that just came out. My dad has a truck with tools, I have a trailer with tools, and my brother is just joining us and will get a truck with tools. So we will be getting 3 kits in the near future and assorted bare tools most which go on the trailer. There aren't hardly any reviews on that kit though. I also didn't know how brushless drills handle loads. They have lower torque numbers and are light which could be great for cabinets, etc, and break out corded for the heavy stuff.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RobertCDF said:
Hmmm... Just wondering aloud... Do you think the new black chargers take care of the batteries killing themselves off? Anyone got a high ranking contact at Makita that could get us an answer? I would hope they fixed it by now and maybe that is part of the solution?
That would be nice if it did. Is there a Darcy for makita on here...? :)

·
GC/carpenter
43,896 Posts
Xtrememtnbiker said:
I was trying to keep the OP short cause I know y'all hate long ones. lol. But I am looking at the XT248 brushless impact/drill kit that just came out. My dad has a truck with tools, I have a trailer with tools, and my brother is just joining us and will get a truck with tools. So we will be getting 3 kits in the near future and assorted bare tools most which go on the trailer. There aren't hardly any reviews on that kit though. I also didn't know how brushless drills handle loads. They have lower torque numbers and are light which could be great for cabinets, etc, and break out corded for the heavy stuff.
The Milwaukee has loads of power. This is why bought it. I've had other impacts that got too hot under load. This Milwaukee handles the load well. Not to mention the warranty is great as well. But then again I'm with Robert on Makita, and maybe the battery issues are fixed, it would be worth looking into. Also Makita has the most selection of tools by far. So if buying batteries a little more often then some of the other tools isn't to much an issue(assuming they haven't fixed the issues with the old ones) you can't go wrong with Makita. I think I did search to compare the power and Milwaukee was number one in this category.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
That Milwaukee fuel brushless impact with three speeds is pretty sweeeet. My list of Milwaukee is much longer than Robs, but I only ever buy red so I'm not gonna say it's better, just what I do and have always done.

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
That Milwaukee fuel brushless impact with three speeds is pretty sweeeet. My list of Milwaukee is much longer than Robs, but I only ever buy red so I'm not gonna say it's better, just what I do and have always done.
If I added my corded Makitas to the list... yea... It would be a bit longer

·
Registered
127 Posts
+1 for makita. I have a drill and impact set I bought lightly used almost 2 years ago and the batteries are still good. The impact is comfortable to use all day. Out here we do a lot of metal roof with 3 inch screws so comfort is key. Only other cordless I have is the 6 1/2 circular saw but its great too.

Boss has Hilti, hitach, and old dewalts. The Hiltis are nice but pricey, the others can't compare.
Just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts